X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a propress tool.

Hi everyone, I'm considering buying a propress tool for commercial service and repair work. What are the pros and cons for each model. I'll need one with jaws up to 2" and maybe up to 4" someday.

Cordless is not necessary but wouldn't hurt. I'm kinda leaning towards the corded ct400, just because I don't need cordless and don't want to have to worry about keeping batteries charged. Do the 330 or 320 have any other advantages over the ct400?

Thanks.

Re: Help me choose a propress tool.

Originally posted by shooff96 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm considering buying a propress tool for commercial service and repair work. What are the pros and cons for each model. I'll need one with jaws up to 2" and maybe up to 4" someday.

Cordless is not necessary but wouldn't hurt. I'm kinda leaning towards the corded ct400, just because I don't need cordless and don't want to have to worry about keeping batteries charged. Do the 330 or 320 have any other advantages over the ct400?

Thanks.
    first off, welcome to the ridgid forum

i guess i'm a propress hoard 5 and counting.

if all you did was up to 1'' i would go with the 100 b. it's smaller and lighter. it doesn't need to be calibrated like the 320 model. when swapping jaws.

the 320 has been replaced by the 330. the 330 is new and has a lithium battery and a 270 degree swivel jaw. it's also lighter than the 320 and a whole lot lighter than the 400.

the 400 is old faithful and is a beast. the problem is it doesn't swivel at the jaw head. it's heavy too. the pros are, it always works, it electric , fast.

the 330 is the model i don't have yet

if you buy the newer swivel style jaws xlc style, you will have access to any angle or offset. i'm sure once you buy one, you will buy another one too.

hope this helped. there are a lot of threads concerning propress. just search.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Robert (westcoastplumber)just got 330 b and he absolutly adores it. It has some cute buttons on the back with cute lights.

Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 05-08-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Zeljka!!! What are you talking about?? There's nothing about any tool that is "cute". It's a manly tool and deserves to be treated as such. Please, please, promise me you won't put ribbons and bows on Robert's propress to accessorize it cuteness.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Zeljka!!! What are you talking about?? There's nothing about any tool that is "cute". It's a manly tool and deserves to be treated as such. Please, please, promise me you won't put ribbons and bows on Robert's propress to accessorize it cuteness.

Yes, there is BEN. What are you talking about? You don't think micro is cute neither..i guess...

Ribbons and bows are only for dogs.

I can;'t lift the propress. I just think the buttons on the back r really cute.

Comment

Have you tested out any of the propresses? I tried out the 330b and it was a monster. Cost of copper and fittings have delayed my purchase for a while. Let us know what you decide and how you like it.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

The propress isn't for every copper job.

I use it in specialized situations like bottom floor commercial work where there is a timed shut down and I need to have water on quickly. With propress, no need to drain water.

I used it all the way up to 4", the 4" was on a hospital job, no way to draint he building, I was at the bottom, 2 hrs to make repair, BAM!! propress paid itself off.

I purchased mine because I have 2 more commercial buildings to do, and eaqch one has to have the water off for a very limited time, 2 hrs at a time, so Pro Press it is.

I have found the customers are fine with the higher cost, because it reduces their tenants inconvenience.

(However you spell that word, Josh, we need spell check)

I will also do my circ lines in ProPress, I like the fact that they are type K copper.

I will also do my Tankless Installs in ProPress, because of the speed, I will be able to do a unit in a day, no matter the distance.

I did a school, 3oo' of 3", 2" and 1", main line, 12 branches, it took longer for me to backhoe the trench then it did to install the copper.

I used the 320e for that one, yes, it is big, and yes it is heavy, but you will get used ot it.

When I did that hospital job, the 4", I was 18' in the air, running 4" copper and fittings, on a little 2 x 2 plateform lift ladder type thing, if I could do that, then It was really easy when I got to the trench

Just like any tool, it has it's special uses.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Believe it or not i dont think really any plumbers in my area use the propress unfortunaltly the availabilty if fittings isnt what it is out west. But i could be wrong. I know i can order fittings online but when you are an elbow short on friday I would rather be able to pick one up than to have to order something and wait a week to get them. I know i should always keep track of my inventory but we have all been there and there have been times where you just dont have the time to do an inventory and make sure you are fully stocked. I dont know yet. Besides our inspectors wouldnt know what to make of it BTW I dont even know if you can use ProPress in NY Ill have to check the code.

Comment

But Robert, what about that rubber seal that will leak because the copper and fittings expand and contract at diiferent rates? I'm sorry just had to throw that out there. No answer needed.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

My shop just bought the same set up Robert bought, it sure is nice.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      But Robert, what about that rubber seal that will leak because the copper and fittings expand and contract at diiferent rates? I'm sorry just had to throw that out there. No answer needed.

Very good point there little buddy, the fitting is crimped on with I believe 8,000 LBS, Rick, correct me if I am wrong.

No, if we are talking push on shark bite fittings, then we have an issue there ben
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                      X