Any welders on the forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any welders on the forum?

tool, this welding forum you mention, what is the URL?
    I belong to the miller forum - they are a great bunch of guys but am always looking to see others....

Comment

Weld talk

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Been 3 days, We showed up! No Dunbar,Guess I'll roll up My leads and head home.

Sorry bout that; been playing demolition derby on the road with my work truck like I want to get my money's worth out of the thousands I've spent over the years with Allstate.

Thanks for the great responses even though I haven't read them all. I have always been fond of the trade and I'll show you all what the skeleton looks like on my truck were building. It'll be awhile before I use my tig welder but all in all the mig welder has already paid for itself.

I'll follow up when I get a chance.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm taking welding this semester and can't believe how difficult it is. A proper weld takes a lot more skill than sweating copper pipe. My hat's off to the welders out there.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It's all in the prep.
            sigpic

Comment

here is another jsut could not see it the other time I posted the weld talk forum,
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...oard/index.php
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It's amazing how well that mig welder is laying down beads. I was stoopid using flux-core and saw the light, started using shielding gas and made the grinding wheels last more than a dozen a day.

There's been some minor mistakes on this truck in regards to the way it's been put together but given the fact that my welder hasn't done any welding in almost 12 years...it's okay. He's doing a fairly good job and this whole thing is about to come together once we get the dibond on it.

The finished height of the truck when it is done will be 11' 7" tall.

Those brackets you see in the beginning are for a twin cylinder 16 horsepower generator, the cutouts up top are for the misting fans that telescope to 17' in the air. We'll have it set up where left and right banks can turn 180 and all 8 can point one direction.
                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-24-2008, 09:08 PM.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Bro welding is all about practice and practice taking your time and setting it up. I learned on my lunch at work and welding BS Stuff hangers and flat platt. Then you just moved on to bigger and better things. The big thing is to learn from everone good habits and bad.But just take your time and dont give up

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    I'm taking welding this semester and can't believe how difficult it is. A proper weld takes a lot more skill than sweating copper pipe. My hat's off to the welders out there.
                    Personally I think it is what your practiced at and what your use to, and some of it is the matching of the equipment to the project,

The most important is practice and knowing your materials and how to use the equipment you have access to,

Once you get the hang of it and get a little more time in, you will pick it up and do jsut fine,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

was told of a welder years ago that would for fun take a washer and weld beads around and a round until he had made a long stem goblet type "glass", using a stick welder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my son knows this old welder friend, and he never liked leathers, (true story), he hurt him self one day, and they hospitalized him for a few days, any way they started to look at his arms and then did a drug test on him to see if he had been shooting up, he welded in the summer time in a tee shirt, and his arms were so pocked marked and scared with splatter and flux burns, I guess it looked like he had been shooting up.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      was told of a welder years ago that would for fun take a washer and weld beads around and a round until he had made a long stem goblet type "glass", using a stick welder.
                      That's good. Used to know a guy that could weld a beer can together
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

WElding beer cans together used to be a "trick" some guys would use to show off, but now with the new inverter welders with AC pulse, and the ability to regulate the electrical cycles per second like with the HTP welders, you just need to know how to tig thin stuff, practice a little bit, and you can weld beer cans together no sweat. Lot of guys in TIG class were bringing in beer cans and practicing just to show they could do it. Like I said, while ability has A LOT to do with it, the new machines have helped even those with just a little bit of talents do a heck of a lot better.
                        Jim Don

Comment

As i said,I was a union welder with the pile Bucks. We would never think of welding without leathers! Guy that got burned was a wanna be. Guarantee He didn';t have x-ray papers.
                          Son in law flew down from Wash. state,Plumber. Spent 2 intense days on stick and Mig.
                          Either He's a fast study or I'm a good teacher. He went home a very good welder. Not ready for plate tests, but good. On Weld talk ,there's been talk of get togeathers ,where we would
                          teach for a weekend. Any of You end up My way ,I'll give You sat. and sun lessons at My shop. I don't speak Tig,maybe some day. Like Jesse James says "There's two kinda Guys, those that weld and those that don't. Learn it, It's still fun after many years. Tool
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Wanna talk welders,A real fabricator,like NO OTHER,I GUARANTEE.
                            Sit back ,We're going to Lynn Lake Manitoba. Home of KING OF OBSOLETE , AND SOUTHERN BELL. To get Your ticket,listen up! Go to shop floor talk,great weld forum. Do a search for
                            King of Obsolete. He runs Cat Trains. You won't believe what this man HAS build and done!!!!

TIME TO PUT THE WRENCHES AWAY,FOR A FEW HOURS
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I must say old Max must be a wanna be welder, as in his early days he welded high pressure gas lines, and built high pressure natural gas pumping stations, welded up large structural welding, and oil field welding, has worked or a number of manufacturing companies in the research and design areas, and has built and constructed many many of his own designs on most any type of machine he has ever want to fabricate, Just a wanna be. He has made it to past 70 years of age and still welding maybe some day.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well BHD Max sounds like the real deal ,all right . Can't imagine running vert and overhead without leathers. I use sleeves with snap on bib,hankerchief at neck. You'll never see an ironworker welding on a hi- rise without leathers

Comment

Working...
                                X