Any welders on the forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any welders on the forum?

I do not know how he does it either, but he does, and apparently does not bother him much.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My welds are structurally unsafe and they look like a metal chicken had diarrhea, But I sure do like nice welds. any place I see a weld I look. My hats off to a guy that can put down a nice weld.

Comment

Say flush , I feel I could change that if You were closer. There's good welders and good teachers. I think I'm both. What You, and every one else that is interested, needs is private one on one lessons. That makes a huge difference! If You have a friend that welds,ask for help. One thing I do is cut some rods in 1/2 ,this gives You more control to get the feel of it.
        I love 7018 rod. I feel it's easier than 6010 or 6011. 6010 is necessary for root passes on pipe,than 7018 each pass. As Dunbar found out Mig with gas [c-25 for mild steel] is awesome
        If You want to go Mig ,I strongley You should hold out for a 220 machine with gas bottle.
        You will soon outgrow a 120 volt machine. I'll be glad to justify this with Your Wife ,for a small fee. Two great weld forums! www.weldtalk.com www.shopfloor.com
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

WOOPS TRY THESE www.hobartwelders.comweldtalk

www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index/.php?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Say flush , I feel I could change that if You were closer. There's good welders and good teachers. I think I'm both. What You, and every one else that is interested, needs is private one on one lessons. That makes a huge difference! If You have a friend that welds,ask for help. One thing I do is cut some rods in 1/2 ,this gives You more control to get the feel of it.
            I love 7018 rod. I feel it's easier than 6010 or 6011. 6010 is necessary for root passes on pipe,than 7018 each pass. As Dunbar found out Mig with gas [c-25 for mild steel] is awesome
            If You want to go Mig ,I strongley You should hold out for a 220 machine with gas bottle.
            You will soon outgrow a 120 volt machine. I'll be glad to justify this with Your Wife ,for a small fee. Two great weld forums! www.weldtalk.com www.shopfloor.com
            Thanks for the offer for help. If its an important weld I'll just fit it up and let a friend weld it. If it's unimportant I'll give it a try. Seriously since I was a kid I've liked looking at welds. I think It started with my grandpa for some reason. Most of my friends have Mig if I need it. Other wise I'm using a stick welder. I will try the 7018. Take care

Comment

I guess the pock marks in my skull if you could see them would be good indication that my work on this project is nearing idiocy or completion......take your pick.

I'm tired of it completely.......no exhilaration at this point as I'm numb to the thousands I've spent in mistakes on this one....

Just want to get the damn thing done so I can move on to other projects.

Here's a picture of what it looked like tonight.......will be ready next week to be wrapped.

Sides will be 114" tall between water puddles. Name:  c7b40bc494273a9d2da1482c1b1bc1d1.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  141.5 KB

Name:  c7e21757ab4a9caba5f71b9e835288ef.jpg
Size:  142.7 KB
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 06-12-2008, 12:17 AM.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar it looks like your getting there,

as stated near the beginning, I was making a back hoe,
                I finally got to try out my back hoe, just finished it up nearly 98% complete. I may make some teeth for the bucket as well.

Built it to fit on the farm tractor, it is removable, with about 6 bolts,

Needs a set of hand rails for climbing on and off and a seat, I have the seat just need to mount it, but it is welded up and even painted and I even tried it out a little, and it dug fairly good.

And the hydraulics are all working the way they should be. It was a time consuming project.

The Hydraulics are all new, but 95% of the steel is or was salvage out of a beet topper machine.

I had bought and down loaded many pictures and plans, but basically used my own design and dimensions,
                part of that was the materials I had to work with, and the size of most of the plans were in the micro scale, and I wanted some thing a little closer to the tractor I was mounting it on.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BHD; 06-12-2008, 09:57 AM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Welding is a lot of fun to teach. I cover oxyacetylene cutting torches, some mig welding, and a great deal of pipe welding with a stick welder. We use Miller Thunderbolt welding machine, got a small Hobart mig welder that we use carbon dioxide with as the shielding gas, a small Hobart spot welder for sheet metal fab, and a Miller brand plasma cutter. Most of my kids head to the various unions in Louisville if they are really serious about this trade. Welding gives them a leg up on the average joe. LOCAL 502 in the house. JONESY

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                    Dunbar it looks like your getting there,

as stated near the beginning, I was making a back hoe,
                    I finally got to try out my back hoe, just finished it up nearly 98% complete. I may make some teeth for the bucket as well.

Built it to fit on the farm tractor, it is removable, with about 6 bolts,

Needs a set of hand rails for climbing on and off and a seat, I have the seat just need to mount it, but it is welded up and even painted and I even tried it out a little, and it dug fairly good.

And the hydraulics are all working the way they should be. It was a time consuming project.

The Hydraulics are all new, but 95% of the steel is or was salvage out of a beet topper machine.

I had bought and down loaded many pictures and plans, but basically used my own design and dimensions,
                    part of that was the materials I had to work with, and the size of most of the plans were in the micro scale, and I wanted some thing a little closer to the tractor I was mounting it on.

Excellent work BHD, I bet you got a ton of satisfaction out of building that yourself. It looks considerably stronger than what you could of bought from a tractor equipment yard.

That took some serious engineering to know the stress points and loads on all your hydraulics.

Did you make the bucket as well?

If you did.....then that means you have a huge piece of thick steel laying around.

I just priced out 1- 4' by 8' sheet of 1/2" thick steel, cut into 2 4' round circles at $700 delivered to my shop.

Ouch.

The cost of steel is outrageous right now.....japan keeps having devastating earthquakes that's just going to be even a heavier draw like china looking for raw material demand.

That project of yours took a great deal of patience, time for sure. Kudos to your efforts.

I started a 3rd biz but it's a simple one; bought 50 park benches from Ace Hardware for $2200.00 and we are dealing with super thin steel. Here's the 7 we welded last night before the rain came in. I'm providing outdoor event seating for fairs and festivals in my area. Something really wrong with the only two places to sit down at these events is the vehicle you came in or the toilet you dare to use while you're there. Just another sparked idea from me having chronic health problems and acting on an idea to provide comfort. I'm already contracted and sold 5 sponsored ads on the park benches, 25 set to go under contract for a fireworks celebration. I'll make money off the contract to the city, money off the sponsored ads. Cash flow will be here by august because two other events are looking at their use.....due to complaints from last year of no seating.

A very stout product because of the bends they put in it......and the seat is actually comfortable which is unusual for a park bench. Got them for $39 a piece, had the ability to buy 482 but I don't have that kind of cash.

Originally they was $79 and right now, they are.

We are cleaning the paint off the back side where we stitch weld them solid along with the bolting that holds them together.

I feel this provides the guarantee that these park benches will hold up to the safety level. Very time consuming though to wire brush/assemble/weld/grind/spot paint.

My arms are destroyed with weld burns this past week......got more iron intake through my nose and skin that I don't need no stinkin' supplemental minerals and vitamins!

Hey tool, show us some of your projects! I bet you like fabricating as much as the rest of us!
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 06-14-2008, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      I guess the pock marks in my skull if you could see them would be good indication that my work on this project is nearing idiocy or completion......take your pick.

I'm tired of it completely.......no exhilaration at this point as I'm numb to the thousands I've spent in mistakes on this one....

Just want to get the damn thing done so I can move on to other projects.

Here's a picture of what it looked like tonight.......will be ready next week to be wrapped.

Sides will be 114" tall between water puddles. Name:  c7b40bc494273a9d2da1482c1b1bc1d1.jpg
Size:  141.5 KB

Name:  c7e21757ab4a9caba5f71b9e835288ef.jpg
Size:  142.7 KB
                      Fricken nice Dunbar!!!! What a promotional tool.

Comment

Dunbar can you please explain to me what this is?
                        Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-15-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Dunbar can you please explain to me what this is?

Promote you Event

*$@!ing drain cleaning call today kept me from helping my welder get the steel painted on the right side. I'm more than pissed at a kitchen sink clog right now. Homeowner is tearing down the ceiling to deal with a drain with a 3" belly...

That truck.......if I could of....would of brought it to the roundup. I'm going to be the oscar meyer wiener mobile a run for its money.

8 misting fans that telescope 17' into the air....can be brought to parks, events, company picnics or huge reunions.

I just want to get the damn thing done....don't care about anything else.

Comment

I did enjoy building it, I basically used salvage iron to built, it so that took a little to work into the design,

I built the bucket as well,

below is a picture of the make and kind of machine I salvaged for the iron, it is called a beet topper, to remove the top leaves on sugar beets before harvesting, there are rows of flails and rubber beaters that would cut the leaves off the beet and clean it off the beet with the rubber beaters, a number o pieces of 1/4" by 4x4 tubing (the shafts of the flails and the frame, the sides were 1/4" and you can not see in the picture the rear wheels had plates of 1/2 steel in there construction, it was made by a company called "Farm hand"

the hydraulics were were most of the money went on the project.

the last few days I made a king size wire roller, for rolling up some bridge cable I got, there is about mile and half of 3/4" and 1/2" cables that came from a guyed communications tower,
                            so I heavily modified a steel cable spool, and used a combine harvester Axle and use a hydraulic motor to power it
                            the hydraulic power pack is made from Honda motor and hydraulic pump and tank, I use the power pack on the log splitter as well.

I will post a picture of it soon,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the benches look great,
                            Attached Files
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I just started hanging out on the hobart forum since I bought a hobart 250 beta mig. I got a serious welder to last me forever. It's a bit old but in mint condition. Before I just used a big stick welder and a little hobart 110v handler.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

enjoy the new welder,
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X