X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any welders on the forum?

Cuta, nice find! I've been on weld talk many years. Was a full time struct.welder for years and still weld. Some of My weld toys
    Miller Matic 210 w/spooll gun c-25,Argon,and tri gas tanks, Portable weld n power on
    trailer. Lincoln LN-22 flux core , Miller thunder bolt AC- DC Welder , Journeyman Oxy,aceteline torch set. Hypertherm power Max 600 plasma .7x12" 1 hp metal band saw. 275 lb. anvil. About to build a zoller square body gas forge. Have You discovered Anvil fire, Yet? See You at Hobart forum. Won't be here much, any more,time to move on, Been fun,Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I should have answered you before, but I've been away! Re Tig Welding, I suggest a course with a qualified instructor. You will find that it is far better than any other method for Stainless, & very good at Copper & most Brass. In some European Countries, Only TIG may be used if people can come in to contact with the work, ie the obvious, water tanks & piping, but also a hand rail must be TIG welded& never MIG or "Stick". This is because of the issue with Hexavalent Chromium, & Free Nickel that are formed by other methods than TIG, When the "added material" is also the electrode, then this material reaches very high temperatures way over 3000 degrees C. Tig on the other hand, due to the Tungsten Electrode, which doesn't melt, runs a melting bath way down at about 1200 - 1600 Deg C below the temperatures nescessary to produce allergenics as mentioned above. Persevere with your TIG. You'll end up loving it!

Comment

Originally posted by RiR View Post
        I should have answered you before, but I've been away! Re Tig Welding, I suggest a course with a qualified instructor. You will find that it is far better than any other method for Stainless, & very good at Copper & most Brass. In some European Countries, Only TIG may be used if people can come in to contact with the work, ie the obvious, water tanks & piping, but also a hand rail must be TIG welded& never MIG or "Stick". This is because of the issue with Hexavalent Chromium, & Free Nickel that are formed by other methods than TIG, When the "added material" is also the electrode, then this material reaches very high temperatures way over 3000 degrees C. Tig on the other hand, due to the Tungsten Electrode, which doesn't melt, runs a melting bath way down at about 1200 - 1600 Deg C below the temperatures nescessary to produce allergenics as mentioned above. Persevere with your TIG. You'll end up loving it!

That's what I've been told; coldest weld out there.

I'm going to check with my vocational school in my area and see if I can take a fall class. I'm going to be working with thin aluminum and just to have the knowledge base would be awesome.

I don't know if other welders can agree with this next statement or not, but I truly believe that if you can weld thin materials and make it look good, solid...

you pretty much can write yourself a ticket that you can weld.

I'm not talking chicken scratch, I'm talking good penetration looking like you laid down a roll of dimes and all you have to do is a slight wire brush and it's ready for paint.

I almost bought a mig spool gun for $700+ this year but I didn't feel I'd be doing any aluminum.

Gotta move quick with that, otherwise you'll have nothing worth calling a weld, just massive holes.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Lots of info out there about welding, but not all of it real accurate. According to AWS (American Welding Society), which is considered the bible for welding, lists Tig arc at approx. 11,000 F, where MIG is running between 6,000 degrees F and 10,000 degrees F, with SMAW running between 9,932 degrees F to 10,000 degrees F. Tig torches, especially with a little more expensive machine, are water cooled to keep your hand from becoming fried chicken during use. Tig is a hot process and one can really feel it in their paws as they weld.

"I don't know if other welders can agree with this next statement or not, but I truly believe that if you can weld thin materials and make it look good, solid... you pretty much can write yourself a ticket that you can weld."
          Lot of guys think a nice looking weld is a good weld and that welding thin means you can weld anything. Lot of nice looking welds out there that have no penetration to speak of. The real test is the ability to do thick material, not have any inclusions in it and then do a bend test that stands up and doesn't break. When you do your bend test, guys will actually bring in dental picks to ensure there are no inclusions in their welds before they cut, grind and bend them on the machine. Time alotment for just doing the multiple passes for a bend test can be over an hour up to 2 depending on the coupon being used.

With a really good Tig machine, like an HTP with a hand controller, even a rookie can learn in about 2 hours to do some nice welds on thin metal, but I wouldn't want him to think that makes him a pipeliner.

I'm not talking chicken scratch, I'm talking good penetration looking like you laid down a roll of dimes and all you have to do is a slight wire brush and it's ready for paint.

Tig welding is the cleanest and purest form of welding out there. If you're good at Tig, there shouldn't even be a wire brush or a chipping hammer in sight. Just not needed. Not even a brush up, touch up after it cools. Except for the possibility of a crappy piece of filler rod once in a while, and if you keep your tungsten out of the puddle, there will be NO inclusions at all in a TIG weld.

Cheers,

Jim Don

Comment

I agree, no good penetration whether thick or thin, it doesn't matter how good it looks, it just won't serve it's purpose.

I guess the wire brush idea was to remove the carbon burnoff? That black residue found surrounding the weld sometimes.

No slag or anything found like using flux-core on a mig. We did half the truck above with flux-core and 9 grinding wheels later, a tank of argon was delivered that day, along with the right wire.

Comment

I really am not trying to toot my own horn but I found out tonight that the truck that was created for my business won second place in a national digital art contest. Specifically the wrap that was made for it and its design.

I'll see if they'll provide me a link to give these guys some credit.

Comment

congratulations
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Congrats. Dunbar , All that 7018 smoke paid off!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I just kind of skimmed this, depending on the job most pipe work is 6010 stick all the way out. Some can be TIG root with a 7018 fill and cap, or a 6010 root and hot with a 7018 fill and cap. Process piping may or may not be TIG all the way out. Uphand or down hand will depend on what your doing. MIG is not usually used for a full peno pipe weld(yes the new pulsed MIG is a growing market), where as flux core has been in use for a while. Pipe welding is a trade within it self, I am a weldor that does pipe work, not a pipe weldor. Just my 2 cents on the topic. I hope I was of some use.

Comment

Working...
                    X