• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ProPress for Med gas?

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
    Type K C+C with brazed joints is.
    Good call.
    Having worked commercial, we had to use that in a Med lab...the only thing I wonder about is the fact that the fittings become annealed, they weaken when brazed.

Comment

NFPA 99C lays out the requirements for medical gas systems. Acceptable materials and joining methods should be there too. I will look tomorrow at work. I have a copy that I can reference to know for sure. Buy AFAIK pro-press is not acceptable and not likely to be for the reason Rick stated being one of them.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        What? No one believed me?!
        I believe you heard it.
        Sometimes I've found it is neccessary to find more than a couple resources for information before making a big decision.

Even if Viega said it was approved wouldn't mean squat when my administrative authority told me to tear it out
        because they don't allow it

Comment

This is why I asked

The 2005 NFPA 99C: Gas and Vacuum Systems presents all the rules about medical piping systems from the 2005 NFPA 99: Health Care Facilities in one convenient stand-alone document.
          Plumbers, inspectors, and verifiers trust this Standard for critical information that reduces fire hazards and ensures that medical piping systems are connected properly. Rules cover performance, maintenance, installation, and testing. Through text and graphics, the Standard details how to work responsibly with gas, air compressor, and vacuum systems Level 1 through Level 4.

Significant changes in the 2005 edition

A new pipe fitting method incorporates an automatic process that results in a more uniform weld. This lowers the likelihood of leaks and maximizes piping system performance.
          • A new mechanical method of joining fittings and piping doesn't require a flame or brazing procedures. This produces an equivalent joint without a fire hazard.
          • Greater flexibility for manufacturers of vacuum pumps, filters, dryers, regulators, and aftercoolers as to which materials they can use. Previous Standard editions prescribed specific materials for various components. This change promotes improvements in cost-effectiveness and efficiency without compromising safety.

Comment

So I can see firemen like it.
            Everyone knows how they don't like being interrupted
            while they are working out or baking cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              It IS rated for oxygen just not Medical Oxygen (just what is the difference I don't know)
              Medical O2 is pure oxygen.

Comment

A quick look at pg.37 5.1.10.7 and 5.1.10.8 NFPA 99c (abbreviated!)
                Brazing and purging with nitrogen, Memory-metal couplings and axially swaged joints..
                everything must have temp. and pressure ratings as good as a proper braze joint.
                As far as vacuum lines you can get away with a bit more as they allow sched. 40 pvc.
                Copper-wise type K or L. and everything cleaned and prepared for oxygen service at the factory.
                I quoted from the level one part of the book and a dentist is a level 3.
                Anything gas delivery-wise is treated pretty much the same but for those following along at home
                page 51 5.3.10 Level 3 distribution.
                suddenly Mussssst sleeppppppppppppppppppppppp
                Last edited by Jay Mpls; 07-14-2008, 07:48 PM. Reason: and....

Comment

Propress is not intended for use in medical gas, oxygen mix with oil can react and blow. don't try because is unsafe. NFPA 99 Require that any medical gas installation must be maid by an ASSE 6010 Certified installer.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                    Medical O2 is pure oxygen.
                    Actually industrial oxygen has to be of higher purity or it will not run the process for which it is intended.

Comment

Are you a certified installer? If you are asking this question I already know the answer.

Comment

Working...
                      X