X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt Dies and Die Heads

We are inquiring what are the most popular sizes of bolt dies. We are in the process of stocking them in our store and need help on what sizes to purchase. Is alloy more popular than HSS?
    What about the die heads? Is there much demand for them?

Re: Bolt Dies and Die Heads

I will reply as I do a fair amount of work in my (farm) shop, building machines and rebuilding and fabrication, and repair of various machines,

I have a standard tap and die set,
    95% of the time I use national course threads, (it is also the main bolt selection I stock in my bolt bins, (up to 1" and some other sizes by piece that is bigger, need some 1 1/8" for the fork lift)
    4% of the time I use national fine threads.
    1 % metric threads, ( I also stock bolts. fine thread and some metric, basically 1/4 through 3/4 or equivalent in metric)

now as time has come since the mid 80's most all truck tractors and other machines have shifted to metric as most are world wide manufactures, and even a lot of the foreign made stuff that has SAE threads are many times on metric shafts or heads on the bolts.

my tap and die set goes from number 8 to 1" may be bigger,

If I run into a bolt or shaft that needs threading bigger I usually try to get it into the lathes and turn the threads, have done that a few times over the years,

now for a bolt threading machine, yes in small production runs I would say there is a use for it, and a fabrication, but with all thread it is far and few that I would really ever use one, there has been a few times I have mounted the DIE in the lath head and done some small runs,

unless one can't buy it and needs a special threaded rod, or hangers, yes it is nice to have a end threaded rod over "all thread" it jsut looks so much nicer.

Now I am talking from my perspective, but

If I was going to stock sizes, I would probly go with the 1/4" through 3/4 may be up to one inch.

If your getting in to larger things I would think if one can get in in short time I would think special ordering it in would be the way to go.

The better the metal in the die the better the die,

If I had a power threading machine I my self would want a set 1/4" though 3/4", and then buy for projects say I need to make 100 hanger bolts, I would buy a die or dies for that project,
    on larger sizes I would buy as I needed them,

but I do not know how other industries are changing in the area of bolts and if SAE is still king or if Metric is starting in now, I know that for the most part the machine shops still basically Carry inch sizes of shafting in our area.

this is how I use bolt dies.

personally I never put my tap and die set away, as I use it often, now with that said,

Personally I do not think they would be big sellers, as I have only replaced a few dies in the last number of years, now taps I replace more often,

Just a sugestion,
    I think you may be better off to survey your own current customer base and see the responses you come up with there, there the ones who you will be selling to.
    Last edited by BHD; 06-13-2008, 03:00 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

When I read the OP, I was thinking die heads for RIDGID pipe machines such as those used to thread hanger rod.

Any job I worked where we had larger dia hanger rod we threaded it ourselves using a RIDGID pipe machine with a bolt die head mounted in it. Smaller rod we used all-thread were allowed but even in some cases 1/2 or 3/8 can not be all-thread and must be threaded at the ends only for attachment to a clevis of turnbuckle, etc. For larger dia rod we would usually cut our own rod in the field.

This is in industrial and utility work.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I wonder what the odds are of two completely different companies from two different states deciding to make bolt dies for RIDGID 811/815 die heads, and then deciding to sign up here and tell us about them on the same day?

And why would they come here to sell their bolt dies when we already sell our own?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Pipe-And...s/EN/index.htm

Or maybe I'm just jaded...

Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
          I wonder what the odds are of two completely different companies from two different states deciding to make bolt dies for RIDGID 811/815 die heads, and then deciding to sign up here and tell us about them on the same day?

And why would they come here to sell their bolt dies when we already sell our own?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Pipe-And...s/EN/index.htm

Or maybe I'm just jaded...

All good points, especially the SPAM part :-)
          Every place I have worked has stuck with RIDGID dies for use in RIDGID machines. I did work a couple shops that used Collins 22A pipe machines (this was back in the '70s now mind you). I liked the through the head oiler and automatic jaws, plus they ran at a higher RPM which didn't seem to tear threads any more than our RIDGID machine did.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X