Resharpen universal dies???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resharpen universal dies???

Does anyone know if you can resharpen universal pipe or bolt dies. I know you can physically resharpen them, but are they still good for threading? Would welcome feedback from someone that has maybe tried this or had success.
    I have a guy that has a resharpening business and would do a good job, just not sure if you can actually resharpen a die and still be able to make the same threads it used to when it was new.

Re: Resharpen universal dies???

I am not sure but i would not think it would make a proper thread after being sharpened as it would be a slightly diffrent size

Comment

No, you cannot resharpen the dies. Each set of dies is manufactured under very controlled conditions as a complete set so that they are exactly the same. If you try to resharpen them, you will get variations from one die to the next that will cause all kinds of problems. You will end up with bad threads and pipe that gets torn up. It is not worth the extreme effort to sharpen them only to have them fail - if they are worn out - its time to get a new set of dies.

Comment

Then how do you explain the fact that you can resharpen a set of shaper cutters that are matched sets, say for example a stile and rail cutters for cabinet doors. These are all matched and and mated. Why do you think the threads will changed? You don`t grind the threads, you grind the face of the die. The threads per inch stay the same.

Comment

Maybe I am misunderstanding. You wish to re-sharpen the dies via grinding the face?

The teeth themselves are machined to a precision more accurate than the width of a piece of newspaper. If those have become worn, grinding the face of the die will not accomplish much.

The "hip" of the die and the side facing angle of the actual teeth are designed to be the most effective, for heat resistence, without sacrificing strength. If you grind the face, you may end up spending the $ anyway for new dies as they may crack and chip. In addition to the manhours used in grinding those dies.

GOOD ADVICE: Do it right, get a new set of dies.
          Last edited by cdepp2003; 07-18-2008, 09:56 AM. Reason: Bad Advice

Comment

Working...
          X