X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating water lines

Who does it and when is it required for your area? I know the ipc code requiring insulation but am unsure of the upc. I haven't seen this done in the residential or commercial side yet. It is required of us for government buildings.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Insulating water lines

My experience might be more limited than others but here's what I've seen & think.

Mostly done in commercial/governmental side. Seen it at the first shop I worked all the time in commercial applications. Depends on what's going through it, circulation, and what the contracts require. We had insulating subcontracted to a strictly insulating company so I never had to do it. They used fiberglass insulation with paper backing that they coated the joints with what looks like mastic.

Residential for freeze protection or if contracted on a circulating line. Last I looked, there is an exclusion in the IPC code that you do not have to insulate a H/W circulating loop.

Freeze protection 1" wall insulation. I forget the R-Factor (3.5?)

J.C.

Comment

san fran requires it on the main hot trunk and circ lines... for residential

Comment

IPC and UPC both require the hot line to be insulated as does the building code and the national mech. code. Cold water lines must be insulated when condensation is an issue.

Building code and NMC both require hydronic and steam pipes to be insulated and duct work must be sealed at the joints and insulated when installed in un-heated spaces, which is open to interpretation as some inspectors will let it go in a full basement and some will not.
        sigpic

Comment

I thought ipc only requires hot to be insulated when total developed length from heat source is 100ft+? I do remember it says it must be done on recirc systems.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

607.2 2003 ipc , had to look it up.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You are correct, I got ahead of myself. It's the energy code that bites you in the *** here.
              sigpic

Comment

What do you energy code? I agree the energy savings would be great if that's what you mean?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                X