Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tight pressing

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Nice pics. Would some sort of right angled head attachment have made things easier? Also, why not solder? Water issues? Maybe as fast with less digging and you know how a properly soldered joint will last. Good work, just curious of your opinion to the other options.

J.C.
    j.c. good points

yes a swivel propress jaw set would have been ideal. they just recently designed and have started to market them. i'm waiting for the ridgid fairy to come by

the copper was very dirty and trying to properly clean it to a nice shinny state under the walkway would have been much more challenging. i have a set of wire brushes that clean the od of copper and this did a great job for the propress, not for soldering in this condition.

there was also a little trickle of constant water and being this tight to the bottom of the concrete, the flame would also be tricky to keep proper air flow.

plus 5 seconds to crimp is faster than you can strike a torch

all valid points, but a propress that can be used is always going to blaze a torch

plus showing off a torch is no fun.

wait until the new guy gets to fire up the k-60 at the 36 unit cleaning job next month. i bet he won't even get his hands dirty

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Oxy acetlyne would brazed that line even with water in the line.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The swivel jaws are nice:d:d:d--they have helped me a few times already!!--nice job rick--propress saves the day ----much faster with a press, and neater-- i say

Comment

I think I understand swiveling as rotating jaws. But does Ridgid make pressing jaws that are at a 90 degree right angle to the trigger? Might be helpful in alot of these tight situations if it could be made.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Oxy acetlyne would brazed that line even with water in the line.
            ben, the steam it would have produced would have been enough to blow/ spit the hot rod back out. plus trying to even get the rod and torch around in this hole would have been fun.

sure before propress it would have been done.

but with propress i was done and off to another job.

i could have cut the concrete if i needed to, but in this case, no need.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Propress saved you a lot of time on this one--huh--
              i now stock up to 2" press fitts on my truck--it s the best tool--and so damn fast-----3" water main--10 ft pipe and 4 fitts--gate would not close fully-good stream of water--i arrived at 9:30 and left at 11:00--done and paid---try that with solder--u would be there all day:d:d:d:d:d:d

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                I think I understand swiveling as rotating jaws. But does Ridgid make pressing jaws that are at a 90 degree right angle to the trigger? Might be helpful in alot of these tight situations if it could be made.

J.C.
                j.c. ridgid has listened and has some new toys out.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/ProPress-Rings

only if i had a set

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Soldering underground is risky at best. Used to silver solder, turn the pipe white and put those sticks to the fitting. Ford pack joints seemed the way to go for transitioning and all that.

I don't touch that outdoorsie type stuff anymore so I'm outta da loop!
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The idea of not reaming PISSES Me off. The burr creates turbulance that,over time, creates pinholes! I own a slab on grade 1958 home. All copper under, That generation of plumbers took pride and Reamed,I HOPE TO GOD!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rick, you are getting really good at posting and resizing pictures.

I also really enjoy the threads with pics. Nice job with the 320E

Josh

Comment

yeah if you don't ream your tubing your doing against code work....

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                          Thanks. Until I joined the local I didn't ream ****, nor did anybody around me. Now I know better.
                          Sheesh Ben I think that Stain is permanent.I wonder if Aaron's going to need makup for his trophy shoot after winning
                          the "Pucker King" competition.

Thanks Aaron...We've only had about a hundred times that we've discussed how important it is and what happens when you don't REAM since you've join the forum.I'm glad to see you listen to them better than your friends.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            Rick, you are getting really good at posting and resizing pictures.

I also really enjoy the threads with pics. Nice job with the 320E

Josh
                            josh, it's a little trick i learned.

i post with the thumbnails and then edit and copy and paste.

so far so good.

and joey didn't help me

i figured this out myself
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              The idea of not reaming PISSES Me off. The burr creates turbulance that,over time, creates pinholes! I own a slab on grade 1958 home. All copper under, That generation of plumbers took pride and Reamed,I HOPE TO GOD!

This generation of plumber takes pride too. Nice photos, and job, Rick.

Greg
                              Last edited by glkearns; 08-26-2008, 11:32 PM. Reason: more

Comment

Yes many do Greg. What do You say to the ones not reaming pipe?
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X