X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tight pressing

had an interesting job on saturday. this is the one that coresponds to the 2 day water heater shut off, that still hasd hot water

i had a local locating company come out to locate a good size leak as i was too busy to locate it myself.

they marked the parkway and the side yard walkway where the copper water main was running. said it was 30'' deep it doesn't freeze here in los angeles

so knowing that the line is between the gas meter vault and the concrete walkway. with the leak under the city sidewalk. i chose to bypass the line and not attempt to pul out old and pull in new.

also i didn't want to get my hands dirty, i had some long haired old school plumber help me

thought what a great way to show the kid the propress toys.

turns out the line was not 30'' deep, but just a few inches under the sidewalk and next to the 1.5'' gas main. problem was it was also a good 1' back under the edge of the walkway.

so we dug and then bored the 5' to get under the sidewalk. hit it perfectly on center of the exisiting 1'' copper main

the challenge was getting under the walkway to properly scrape clean the old copper and still get a propress 100 machine in there to make the repair.

what you'll notice is the ditch used for the boring of the sidewalk. then the parkway with gas meter fault, covered in plastic sheeting and the side yard walkwayoff to the far left that we had to access.

no concrete was cut or damaged and no torch was used for this repair.

was my help impressed

i'll let him answer it

rick.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-24-2008, 09:10 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: tight pressing

Rick, your the man what can I say. Also cool looking at job pictures. I like that copper reamer you got there, I wonder how many of us on here actually use one regularly?

Where's the depth mark aka Sharpie mark on the copper?
    Last edited by Aaron91; 08-24-2008, 09:34 PM.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Nice pics. Would some sort of right angled head attachment have made things easier? Also, why not solder? Water issues? Maybe as fast with less digging and you know how a properly soldered joint will last. Good work, just curious of your opinion to the other options.

J.C.

Comment

JC, you solder for underground repairs?!
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
          Rick, your the man what can I say. Also cool looking at job pictures. I like that copper reamer you got there, I wonder how many of us on here actually use on regularly?

Good point on the reamer Aaron. I know I've seen more copper unreamed on jobs. Not by me.

J.C.

Comment

JC, you solder for underground repairs?!
            Are you trying to "catch" me for not brazing?

J.C.

Comment

Thanks. Until I joined the local I didn't ream ****, nor did anybody around me. Now I know better.
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Yes, why yes I was.

Knowing you and the plumber that you are, I'm SURE you just mis typed, right?
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Hmmmm..... how to answer this.

Only the truth. Last I checked (2 inspectors, 3 plumbers, but NOT checked with the governing body in N.C.) soldering was allowed in N.C. underground but not underslab. Underslab, it then has to be properly brazed & tested.

Different where you are located?

J.C.

Comment

Rick, your the man what can I say. Also cool looking at job pictures. I like that copper reamer you got there, I wonder how many of us on here actually use one regularly?

Aaron, I think you have something on your nose......yup, I see it now.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm waiting for the other half of the joke to show up...
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

What do I have to do? Spell it out for you?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

A little help goes a long way.
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

good eye aaron considering you're my runner up in the propress maze

actually if you look at the front of the 90 elbow, you can see the ring it made. i used a purple sharpie/ joey's favorite color.

this is the more aggressive reamer that i use. the large scale one that ridgid has is decent for outside, but lousy for inside.

with propress you really want to make sure the outer is also properly reamed so you don't nick an o-ring.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I do see it looking back now, my fault I was looking for a black line.
                              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                              X