X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Oils

I have a 12-R hand ratchet and wish to cut threads on 1" black pipe.

The specified thread cutting oil is not readily available.

Is there a suitable replacement that would work well enough in a pinch?

Diesel - probably too thin?
    Motor Oil - probably too thick?

Something common that I could pick up at the hardware store? Looks like the main ingredient in the Ridgid brand is mineral oil... so generic mineral oil should work almost as well, right?

Thank-you!

Re: Cutting Oils

typically the cutting oil contains sulfur.

they also make an aerosol spray can oil.

since your hand threading and not doing fast production work, i believe any decent lubricating oil will do.

in fact i have an oil less threader #1210 1/2''-1'' that uses a cooling fluid at a drip rate. sure the dies are titanium nitrate coated. but the threads come out like a factory nipple.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Funny,I have an elec. threader ,and use oil, of course. But I have a large 1 HP metal band saw in My shop, for welding, and use coolent, as My MAG drill uses also. Why not collent for My threader? I just know oil is the right choice , not why
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Funny,I have an elec. threader ,and use oil, of course. But I have a large 1 HP metal band saw in My shop, for welding, and use coolent, as My MAG drill uses also. Why not collent for My threader? I just know oil is the right choice , not why
        My guess, and it's just a guess, is that it all has to do with speed.

Higher speed means the friction creates a lot more heat in a much shorter amount of time. Dissipating heat => coolant.

With slower speed, friction is more difficult to overcome due to less tool momentum; and the heat caused by friction has more time to dissipate. Overcoming friction => oil.

I think machine shops use various mixtures of oil/coolant depending on the operation, machine, and material.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          since your hand threading and not doing fast production work, i believe any decent lubricating oil will do.
          Thanks! I'll try a couple things I have here and then get some mineral oil if required.

Comment

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Thread-Cutting-Oil

MSDS for Dark Thread Cutting Oil: http://complyplus.grainger.com/grain...heetid=2967710

MSDS for Nu-Clear Thread Cutting Oil: http://complyplus.grainger.com/grain...heetid=2967709

While not really the right stuff #30 non detergent automotive oil is far better than going dry. If you can hold off until Tuesday try a good plumbing supply house. They should have threading oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Thread-Cutting-Oil

MSDS for Dark Thread Cutting Oil: http://complyplus.grainger.com/grain...heetid=2967710

MSDS for Nu-Clear Thread Cutting Oil: http://complyplus.grainger.com/grain...heetid=2967709

While not really the right stuff #30 non detergent automotive oil is far better than going dry. If you can hold off until Tuesday try a good plumbing supply house. They should have threading oil.
              I'd never attempt to cut dry but I'm hoping to get some mineral oil at the hardware store over the weekend. The Ridgid Nu-clear is 95% mineral oil and 5% sulfur. The Ridgid Dark is 90% mineral oil and 10% sulfur.

Does anyone know what beneficial properties sulfur adds to the oil?
              Last edited by sparky672; 08-30-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky672 View Post
                I'd never attempt to cut dry but I'm hoping to get some mineral oil at the hardware store over the weekend. The Ridgid Nu-clear is 95% mineral oil and 5% sulfur. The Ridgid Dark is 90% mineral oil and 10% sulfur.

Does anyone know what beneficial properties sulfur adds to the oil?
                the sulphur adds to the lubricity of the oil.

basically the slickness.

the oil is designed to prevent galling to the threads.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  the sulphur adds to the lubricity of the oil.

basically the slickness.

the oil is designed to prevent galling to the threads.
                  So with the sulfur I'm assuming will get a much better final thread.

Do you think I'd notice a difference in ease of cutting? Longer tool life?

This is good education. As far as my project goes, a few cuts with 100% mineral oil shouldn't really be an issue, no?

Comment

The weekend is half over. By the time we get done here discussing the pros and cons of not using the correct cutting oil it will be Tuesday and you can get the proper oil.

You must be someplace really remote to not have anywhere to get cutting oil on a Saturday.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      The weekend is half over. By the time we get done here discussing the pros and cons of not using the correct cutting oil it will be Tuesday and you can get the proper oil.

You must be someplace really remote to not have anywhere to get cutting oil on a Saturday.
                      Yes I am someplace remote.

But getting the proper oil is no longer the point. I can get generic cutting oil at Ace Hardware, I can find mineral oil someplace else, and I have plenty of SAE 30 here.

I'm simply asking all these questions in order to educate myself further.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky672 View Post
                        Yes I am someplace remote.

But getting the proper oil is no longer the point. I can get generic cutting oil at Ace Hardware, I can find mineral oil someplace else, and I have plenty of SAE 30 here.

I'm simply asking all these questions in order to educate myself further.
                        Understood, nothing wrong with wanting to learn more.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X