Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compound leverage wrench

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
    Heck. It's not nearly as good a deal as a new one for $50 but i just bought one. I have a 4" flange I'm going to be unscrewing off a 35 year old galvanized pipe in the next six months. I was planning on using 3 ft wrenches with six foot cheaters. This should be much easier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123
    If you run into any problem getting it loosened up, I recommend heating up the flange with a torch - unless it is some some flammable chemical piping or such. I would use a rosebud tip on an oxy acetylene set up. Worked for me on some pretty old stuff in huge hospital boiler room. (60+ years old).

Comment

I don't have an oxy setup anymore. I just use a B tank with a large turbotorch tip to heat fittings. I've used it in the past on large (up to 4") flanges and it takes a while but it works.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Here's mine... Found it today while cleaning up. Didnt know I even had it!!!

Attached Files

Comment

• Mightyservant
          Mightyservant commented
          Editing a comment
          Come on man, thats not a good look for a RIGID

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        Here's mine... Found it today while cleaning up. Didnt know I even had it!!!

It's an odd thing to have just lying around. What else is knocking around your place? <groan> Maybe you'll get lucky and find one of these.
        Attached Files

Comment

ummm yeah I know where that is.... I got alot of my stuff when i bought all my tools from a plumber going out of business. he had a lot of stuff so much i havent gotten around to sorting everything out to see exactly what is there.

Comment

I just got one at my favorite used tool store for a whole 19 bucks, and the jaws are sharp and new Gonna try it out, on some nasty old steam pipes under the boiler house

Comment

At work today there was concern about taking apart some 40 year old 2-1/2, 3, 3-1/2,
              and 4" screwed sprinkler pipe. They need to remove the pipe to gain access for a repair.

I said get a compound pipe wrench and I got that stare of wonderment like WTF are you
              talking about. So I went to my computer and did a google search on "RIDGID Compound
              Wrench" and do you know who pops up near the top of the list of images.....none other
              than our own Plumber Rick.

That's right folks, Rick is famous (beyond his own mind ). Seriously though, one of the
              photos Rick posted in this thread from 9 years ago came up and I said "I know that guy"
              and they looked at me like sure you do.

Anyway, thanks Rick for the great photos of the RIDGID Compound Wrench in action as
              it clearly illustrated how it works to the non-believers when I told them the price was probably
              in the neighborhood of $450 for the S4-A which is the size they will need to tackle 4" screw pipe.

They said 'buy one' and so I will.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 09-12-2017, 07:29 PM.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

• Mightyservant
                Mightyservant commented
                Editing a comment
                You don't need them very often anymore but when you do, it nice to have a solution to those difficult problems. Good luck with the repair, be safe.

• Bob D.
                Bob D. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, it won't be me, I don't do that work anymore, I am stuck behind a desk now-a-days.

That 4" is gonna be a bugger to get loose, it's a tough spot to work to begin with and 40+ years
                old (installed in the mid 70s). I think some heat and the compound wrench will do the trick though.

What's the name of that pipe dope the Sprinkies (bet you haven't heard that in a while) used on
                screw pipe? Ye know, in the BV days (Before Victaulic).

Just thought I would follow up and say they used the compound wrench and it worked great as expected. Turned a PITA job into a couple minutes of painless wrenching. didn't even need any heat. The alternative would have been cutting the pipe and installing a pair of weld neck flanges to put it back together. But using the compound wrench all the pipe can be screwed back together.

----

Comment

Rick,

I'm surprised you weren't wearing a hepa respirator while disturbing the asbestos. Mesotheliomia is the pits.

Also.... maybe I should have started with this. Want to buy my 4' Ridgid compound wrench? (Sucker weighs about 40 pounds) I didn't know Ridgid made cute little compound wrenches.

Comment

• Mightyservant
                  Mightyservant commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You'll be sorry if you get rid of it, I've used mine 4 times in 35 years and it's been worth it each time.

kinda a long the same line, is Rick posted about the Torque mulitiplier wrench I bought one and used it once to check it out put it in it's bag and been there ever since and I think the post was before this one anyway I pulled it out today and used it for real yay!
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Yep, it's great for water heater anode rods.

But I now have my milwaukee cordless impact wrench. 700'#.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    Yep, it's great for water heater anode rods.

But I now have my milwaukee cordless impact wrench. 700'#.

Rick.
                    Looks to me like this one put you over the mark Rick. By my calculations this was post number 20,000 for you.
                    That's based on counting back from your last post where you were at 20,007 which was this morning as shown below.

Some time but no too long ago I put the question as to when this would happen.
                    https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/ge...who-will-it-be

Looks like Rick got to 20K before we hit 750K posts, his post above being #723983.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 11-19-2017, 10:00 AM.

----

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                      PLUMBER RICK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did I win?

Am i getting the Rick-60?

Thanks for paying attention, no one else does.

Rick.

• Bob D.
                      Bob D. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You won the right to say you won.

I really wasn't watching that close, I missed it by 7.
                  Working...
                  X