Hand Threading 1.25" Black Iron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Threading 1.25" Black Iron

Is something I plan on not doing again, for a very long time.

Also, getting a gas line job and not doing it for months, going over the design of how I'm going to move it 30 times in my head isn't going to happen again either.

Been hand threading black iron for 20+ years and I've never owned a electric threading machine.

I "almost" did when oldslowchevy mentioned that smokin' deal up in Maryland. It was too good to be true and would of been awesome, but it was however a 300, not a 700 that would of been more compatible for my jobs.

Hands hurt, back hurts but it was a good day's work and less than 7 hours from now I'll be back down there doing the test for leaks.

Propane system, probably 250' total of line in this building. I just had to move a line to the wall that was blocking a staircase to above the offices.

Commercial work doesn't excite me in the least bit, but this work is more of a "connection" to another business that is quite a good one. It's a well-known supplier of welding equipment and supplies and I've spent thousands down there already.

Amazing how these guys make money though...sometimes a million a month and they mainly act as a distributor of product.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Hand Threading 1.25" Black Iron

dunbar, let me do the math

if 1'' black steel takes me 66 seconds to hand cut, ream, thread and screw

how long does it take you to do 1.25'' black steel

roundup's in a year. work on it

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I say I can do it in 6 minutes, flat.

If I worked any faster, I'd be the fastest turtle in the world.

Comment

You know you don't have to spring for a 300 or 700 machine, nice though they are. You can pick up a used Oster power drive on Ebay for chump change and use your manual dies. Takes a little more time and if your not carefull the handle will smack you in the head, but that's half the fun.
        sigpic

Comment

i like those wheeler rex mini threaders up to 1"

Comment

Just landed another black iron job tonight....but I keep procrastinating when it's only less than 10 threaded jobs.

It makes me feel speshal that I'm still doing it like the old timers did....I guess.

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJLSP...eature=related

This guy makes me want to buy 3!

Comment

Hi My name is Kevin ,I own a chinezzee pipe threader! This is My 1 st meeting !!
              Grizzley 2" capacity, 1 H.P. ,G0579 185 LBS., $ 501.50 DELIVERED TODAYS PRICE!
              Think I paid around $700 2 years ago. auto oiler, no reverse. threaded a lot of Gas pipe with it. Beats My hand threader! What do You expect from a carpenter!!!! ps it works fine!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
              X