No announcement yet.

dope. what kind do you use, and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dope. what kind do you use, and why?

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
    Oatey Great White. Doesn't taste that bad either.
    Tyman, I heard the guy that owns Enzyte just got busted for selling a product that does nothing. Just some useless info.

J.C.

Comment

gasoila pipe dope the best stuff there is and you pay for it aint cheap.

Comment

I use masters pro dope, I have actually never used anything else. It is all the is sold at the local suppliers

Comment

Master's Pro Dope (what I listed above) isn't certified for use on potable water is it? I thought it was toxic, hence why I use Blue Magic.

Master's also has "Pro Blue" which I have seen the odd time at the supplier but never bought.

Here's a question for you guys - are dopes & teflon really just a lubricant, or do you feel they are responsible for sealing things up? For example, lets say I have a leaking joint with dope & teflon already on it (that some other guy in your company did as was the case recently for myself). You try to tighten it but it doesn't hold still. So You pull it apart, new Teflon, new Dope, thread it in, re-test and it holds. Thoughts?

Comment

I feel it is a lubricant and sealer.

J.C.

Comment

Teflon and dope fill the tiny gaps between the threads. It acts both to reduce friction and to create a positive seal.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

OK - here's one for you.

The one difference between the 2 systems wasn't the amount of dope that was used, but the type and amount of teflon used.

I pulled apart the joint, and there was maybe 1-2 raps of white, thin, teflon with some dope on top. I put 3-4 wraps of heavier duty pink teflon, but the same amount of dope on the threads and it holds. So you're saying the more wraps of heavier duty teflon made the difference? (usually copper or brass adapters)

YET, when doing testing of gas lines at 30-40 PSI with air, where I only use Dope, period (no teflon at all), the few times I have had leaks, involved just tightening the pipe a bit more with the same, original dope on it. Was it because of the lower pressure, or because it was air or? The odd time is a defective fitting. But part of me wonders at times.... (usually steel)

Comment

In the gas fields we use about three types of dope, all made by the same manufacturer. Which unfortunately I cannot recall. Cans are white, lettering is black and red.

All of our connections have to withstand 200psi. Our work is tested right away by the pumper before we leave. These wells are hot, they are moneymakers. Our work is an intrusion into the operation of the well. "Gotta get the gas out of the ground so that people can heat their homes" and all that, right?

Dope used is Soft Set "baby poop", yellow, which we don't like since it's runny above 65 or so degrees. Another used is a gray type, pretty nice. A third is blue, it is awful tough to wash out of clothes. All are made by the same mfgr and are in similar containers.

All seem to work at those high pressures. Failures (methane gas leaks) on turning on the well are fairly common, maybe one well out of three. Most can be traced to hammer unions. You just have to pound the heck out of them with a 6lb brass sledge (this is a no-spark environment.)

I've not noticed any difference in leakage at high pressures due to type of dope, but have noticed a couple of times that not being real generous with taping the threads prior to doping ...might...have been a factor.

All this stuff is put together by hanging from or stepping down on 4' wrenches, it is fit pretty hard to hold that pressure. All three types of dope seem to seal pretty well if enough teflon tape is used.

I'm new here and don't want to be a bother, but earlier today I posted a question on this section of the forum regarding the use of cutting oil on the cut of a pipe cutter run mechanically at 36 rpm. Anybody have an opinion on oil vs no-oil?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Quietas View Post
                    In the gas fields we use about three types of dope, all made by the same manufacturer. Which unfortunately I cannot recall. Cans are white, lettering is black and red. -RectorSeal

All of our connections have to withstand 200psi. Our work is tested right away by the pumper before we leave. These wells are hot, they are moneymakers. Our work is an intrusion into the operation of the well. "Gotta get the gas out of the ground so that people can heat their homes" and all that, right?

Dope used is Soft Set "baby poop", yellow, which we don't like since it's runny above 65 or so degrees. -Rectorseal a.k.a. Rectum Seal
                    Another used is a gray type, pretty nice. Pro-Dope
                    A third is blue, it is awful tough to wash out of clothes. All are made by the same mfgr and are in similar containers. Blue Block A.K.A. Smurf Goo

All seem to work at those high pressures. Failures (methane gas leaks) on turning on the well are fairly common, maybe one well out of three. Most can be traced to hammer unions. You just have to pound the heck out of them with a 6lb brass sledge (this is a no-spark environment.)

I've not noticed any difference in leakage at high pressures due to type of dope, but have noticed a couple of times that not being real generous with taping the threads prior to doping ...might...have been a factor.

All this stuff is put together by hanging from or stepping down on 4' wrenches, it is fit pretty hard to hold that pressure. All three types of dope seem to seal pretty well if enough teflon tape is used.

I'm new here and don't want to be a bother, but earlier today I posted a question on this section of the forum regarding the use of cutting oil on the cut of a pipe cutter run mechanically at 36 rpm. Anybody have an opinion on oil vs no-oil?

Thanks.
                    Pro Dope and Blue Block By Hercules

Comment

i have learned throughout the years that the older and more experienced i have become as a tradesman, the lighter my backpack/computer tool bag is.

in my younger days i had all of my tools in 1-100lb box!! what can i say. i was young.

i'm young enough to not know what plumbing was like before tephlon tape.

i work with petroleum poducts. aviation and heating fuel., res/comm hydronic heating, res/comm/underground water and sewer.

white tephlon for water (i do 4 wraps, more for larger diameters), pink for fuels(not allowed to use dope).

i find that it doesn't freeze. it's clean. it's cheap. and it's light.

N.A.I.T. rule of thumb; after tightening the fitting and the pipe together, and if the fitting is good and the pipe thread is good, 3 threads should be left exposed. any more or any less should make a plumber frown.

Comment

slic tight, Can be used on galv, copper, or ABS.

Comment

Slic-tite for water, Keytite on gas.

wooikie

Comment

I have a jar of Keytite I got from a coal burner stockroom. That stuff is great. It acts like both a lubricant and thread sealer. If you have imperfect threads, this stuff is great. It only comes out of the van on rare occasions. For everything else, I use Loctite thread sealer. If you remove a joint you made up with stuff on it, it peels off like Teflon tape. I got this from a factory maintenance guy at a plant that makes lids for coffee/soup cans. It is really thick, and non messy.

Comment

I use the Blue Monster teflon tape by Mill-Rose-it's nice and thick. Before the Blue Monster was available I used the Mill-Rose yellow gas teflon tape for everything.
                              http://www.cleanfit.com/70885.html
                              Last edited by SlimTim; 10-26-2008, 09:30 PM.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Hey guys, new to the forum's. I work for a utility company that does wet taps. We always have used Real-Tuff teflon paste thread sealant and teflon tape on the threaded plugs from the sleeves. We pressure test the sleeve and valve at pressures of up to 160 pounds (water not air)that hold for 20 minute test. The only problem I've had with the dope is during the cold. Usually we resolve this by leaving it in the truck on the defroster to keep it from turning to rock. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X