Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dope. what kind do you use, and why?

Leak-Loc,Rectum Seal #5,and Expando!

Comment

rector seal tru-blue for almost everything but water. hercules GRIP for redrawing coal boilers radiators or cast baseboard and regular megalock for water
      "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

Just about any of the white teflon paste type dopes. I tend to put more faith in my threads and pulling them up tight. Hydostatic test of 200 psi+ for two hours with no leaks.

I have used a strip of a plastic sandwich bag (just like teflon tape), and a trick that was shown to me by an old fitter was to take sewing thread and make one wrap on the male threads of four inch and up and, red lead & linseed oil (any of you young fellas heard of that?).

I'm not real fond of teflon tape but will use it on two inch and up. Dope then tape then pull it up tight.

G3

Comment

4 wraps of teflon tape followed by teflon paste works for most applications.

Comment

I agree....on threads I use about 4 layers of teflon tape then teflon paste...never have leaks. Under the sink i use pro-dope and if i'm messing with an old flange then i'll use BLOCK on the gasket surface.

Comment

is it true that plumbers/pipefitters used oakum before pipe dope and tephlon tape was invented?

Vince

Comment

here in canada we're not allowed to use pipe dope on the threads for aviation fuel products. tephlon tape only.

kinda makes sense to me. don't want any contaminants in the fuel.

Vince

Comment

Vince, oakum is used in making upp a poured lead joint. It is like stringy rope that was packed down into the joint first to prevent the molten lead from running into the pipe.

Nobody responded to the red lead and linseed oil dope I mentioned above. This was a very popular dope that used powered red lead and mixed with linseed oil to make a thick paste. The red lead was to be for a lubricant and then the linseed oil would dry and harden. These are very hard to break loose. Some of the oldest joints that I have seen are from 1920 on a dry pipe system that is still in service.

G3

Comment

I've found the best is the wrapping that they put on bologna.

J.C.

Comment

Teflon is over rated, I use lampwick!

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                        here in canada we're not allowed to use pipe dope on the threads for aviation fuel products. tephlon tape only.

kinda makes sense to me. don't want any contaminants in the fuel.

Vince
                        For diesel fuel systems teflon tape only. An old plumbers and fitters trick on leaking threaded steel pipe was to pack steel wool into the threads with a hammer and screwdriver peening the joint tight. Sprinkler fitters still use this trick today.

Comment

I use Gasoila, but that's because that's all the guys who taught me ever used. He is actually a dope maniac, he dopes anything and everything. He REFUSES to use anything else. I will pretty much use Hercules, or T+2 from time to time.

Comment

i did use thread wick a long time ago on threads that gave me a hard time but the pipe dops today are better so no need for it now
                            but i still have some in my tool box
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I prefer the yellow rectorseal, but also use the white stuff

I've seen grey dope but it looked too gummy (thick) so I didn't buy it.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                                An old plumbers and fitters trick on leaking threaded steel pipe was to pack steel wool into the threads with a hammer and screwdriver peening the joint tight. Sprinkler fitters still use this trick today.

Not steel wool but lead wool, you can drive it down into the threads.

How about a salt rag, ever tried that?

G3

Comment

Working...
                                X