No announcement yet.

dope. what kind do you use, and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dope. what kind do you use, and why?

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
    Not steel wool but lead wool, you can drive it down into the threads.

How about a salt rag, ever tried that?

G3
    Have used a salt rag in an emergency, but was always taught it is a last resort as it isnt a permanat solution

Comment

Just to let you fellas know............NO I DO NOT USE lead wool or salt rags!! I tear it apart re-dope it and pull it back together, it is the best way.

G3

Comment

we usually use master's prodope

Comment

G3SPRINKLERS, I was disassembling some piping that came from Switzerland and they were using something that looked like packing string (for older style faucets and valve bodies) it also looked like oakum.

Comment

Never seen anything like that. What kind of piping was this on and what was it holding at what kinds of pressures. new stuff or really old stuff?
            Have seen the sewing thread wound into the threads though and believe it or not it worked.

G3

Comment

Block the green stuff works great sucks if you get on you.
              You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

I've used lead wool here for caulking the threads on fire hydrants.

Comment

What part of a fire hydrant were you caulking the threads on? the NST threads for the hose connection are straight and seal off with a gasket like a garden hose.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                    G3SPRINKLERS, I was disassembling some piping that came from Switzerland and they were using something that looked like packing string (for older style faucets and valve bodies) it also looked like oakum.
                    Probably Lampwick, Still use it when nothing else will work

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
                      Dope? Why, Acapulco Gold, of course
                      Why?
                      No stems or seeds that you don't need,
                      Acapulco Gold is bad-azz weed.
                      Cough, cough.
                      Hopefully going to see them on tour at the end of the month
                      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Rough work-#5.
                        Finish-Megaloc-cleans up real nice.
                        Gas lines over 2" (but not welded)-Superdope (anerobic pipe dope)
                        http://www.argco.com/pdf/techdata/1010085.pdf

Comment

when i was a kid we had steam heat in our greenhouse. my dad had me use a mix of graphite and motor oil on it. i was real little so learned to use a sledge hammer or pipe persuaders to tighten stuff. it didn't come apart well later. i used grey dope on potable water. a few years ago i was working on a funeral home. 1/2" gal steel had a white dope on them. even heat from acetylene torch wouldn't soften the fittings. i ask the digger what the stuff was. he tell me the stuff was white lead based paint. i give the three eyed look and said his uncles did it during the depression. and later. he just laughs. they let the paint thicken to use. then let installation set for a day or two before they pressured it. he said they didn't have any leaks. i told we weren't going to be doing that. i use laco slic-tite and mill-rose pink (will go to blue when pink runs out). breid

Comment

White lead brings back,back East memories. 60s putting up wood gutters. Fir, cedar and hemlock. Score,wood chisel relive the 45 joints on outside corners and straight run joints.
                            Used white lead bedding, and real lead countersunk to seal. Used lead goosenecks . One old home in Cambridge Mass. had round 2 piece cedar down spouts. joined with horse hair glue. Wish I had saved A piece for old time sake. Man do IHi- Jack! Sorry
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Why pipe dope? I switched to Teflon tape 15 years ago and I haven't looked back. If you tighten a 1" pipe with 50 foot pounds of torque then it comes undone with 50 foot pounds of torque. Cut a bad thread? Just add an extra wrap of Teflon tape and you're good to go.

Oh, and about that torque factor. I use the Channelock 12" GL model for installing 1" pipe - that's all you need with Teflon tape. Give 'er a try - you might be pleasantly surprised.

And by the way, the most common cause of pipe leaks that I have fixed are as a result of using a combination of pipe dope and Teflon tape on a pipe thread - the two just don't mix.

Danny

(as in Oh Danny boy, the (sprinkler) pipes are calling. My mum loved that song.)

Comment

I had a gas line repair yesterday and resorted to teflon tape for the repair, because I couldn't find my dope.

I don't know if I'll make a habit out of it or not.
                                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                                X