X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of 764 cutter on 1224 machine

My company recently purchased a 1224 machine for modifying the plumbing on gas wells. We use the machine to fabricate nipples, 3" schedule 80 pipe.

I am sort of the default user for this machine. In the past I've done a fair amount of hand cutting and hand threading (to 2" sched 80), and I've been told to always use some cutting oil on the cutting wheel.

This past week there's been some argument over that, some people saying that lubrication is not necessary for the cutting wheel, whether hand-held or in the machine at 36 rpm. Ideas on this?

Any other hints on the use of this machine would be welcome. I have the manual and have read it. I found this past week that I can only get about two dozen thread cuttings (12 nipples) done before it's time to change the oil and clean the sump- the flow was decreasing. Figure to make the threading dies last as long as possible.

Anybody have a ballpark estimate on how many threading operations (about 2.5" in length) on 3" schedule 80 pipe before die replacement is necessary?

Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by Quietas; 09-28-2008, 11:32 PM.

Re: Use of 764 cutter on 1224 machine

We have several 1224 machines at the shop I work, and have never put oil on the cutter wheel. I would think that Ridgid would have had the machine to that as well if it needed as it is a self oiling machine.

I don't have a number on how long the oil or dies should last but I do know that we have never had to change to oil as often as you stated. The dies are the same as the cutter wheel in that there are several types available depending on what you are doing. For that matter there are three types of oil Ridgid makes for the machine, we always use the extreme performance as this has always given us the longest die life. One thing to remember is when you have say some aluminum to thread have a set of dies that you only use for aluminum. Also make sure to match the speed of the machine to what you are doing, and when in doubt go with the slower speed.

Let us know if this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X