X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NEW Milwaukee Cordless Tubing Cutter

I agree with the last few posts. I was skeptical just like the rest of you guys until I purchased one about 2 months ago, right before I did a 31 bath remodel. I wish I had this YEARS ago!!! The best test of it's speed is cutting up scrap. It took about 12 seconds to cut each shower valve assembly into pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post

Rick, never watched you cut copper but positive you can't beat it. Milkshakes on me.

wookie
      wookie, believe me, i can smoke it. both steve and i have put it to the test and we easily beat it in all 3 sizes.

it's the nicest design of all the past failures.

my test is with 1/2'', 3/4'' and 1''.

a good #15 cutter is much faster.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

"Keeping it real", I've watched you cut copper Rick. You tighten the knob so tight, the cutters cut with one revolution. Anyone got a video of your propress roundup video from last year?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. That's not a "real world" application. Bad for the wheel too.

Anyone can do that to "beat" the Milwaukee cutter. But if one were to cut normally as they should, the Milwaukee will probably win hands down.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I was wondering the same thing. That's not a "real world" application. Bad for the wheel too.

Anyone can do that to "beat" the Milwaukee cutter. But if one were to cut normally as they should, the Milwaukee will probably win hands down.

J.C.
            anyone who works with copper should easily beat the milwaukee cutter in an open area. remember the milwaukee uses a tension spring and has to go multiple times to score the copper.

i would hope you can cut the copper with 4 rotations.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              anyone who works with copper should easily beat the milwaukee cutter in an open area. remember the milwaukee uses a tension spring and has to go multiple times to score the copper.

i would hope you can cut the copper with 4 rotations.

rick.
              I'm not that strong.

Making me so sad man.

J.C.

Comment

ill betcha if ridgid made a cordless copper cutter rick would have a dozen of them!!!!

Comment

I Can cut the copper with 4 rotations. but I find if I take a bit longer and put less force on it, there is less to ream.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  I'm not that strong.

Making me so sad man.

J.C.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I finally got one of these recently for a larger job. Holding a piece of copper with one hand and using the tool with the other is not a problem, there is no pull at all.
                    This would have to be one of the best tools I've ever seen for copper cutters, I just wish they would have had it years ago.
                    Last edited by ironranger; 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I just picked up my Milwaukee tubing cutter yesterday because I'm getting older and the motions needed to cut tubing becomes painful pretty quickly these days. I was a little skeptical at first, but turns out the thing does a pretty decent job and if you have to cut a lot of tubing you'll never cut as fast with a manual cutter. It does have some drawbacks though.

1. I found when cutting out old lines that it would sometimes hang up after the cut and you had to recycle the cutting head a few times to get it to go back to the home position to get it off the pipe. Not reallly that big of a deal.

2. I couldn't let it 'rest' on a horizontal pipe and cut. It would try to cut, but it would never grip the pipe enough to cut it. I had to support the weight of it to get it to cut. Again not a huge deal, but could be a pain in the tail depending on where you are in proximity to the pipe you have to cut and the position you have to put the tool in.

4. The claim is it can cut a pipe with as little as 1 1/2" available space, but I found doing this can take some patience. 2" or more would be a more accurate claim. Perhaps with some practice it would get easier.

5. Some people have mentioned the smell it gives off. This is the lubricant in the cutting head and for those that haven't experienced the smell, it's the same smell that gear oil has. Not a particularly pleasant smell, but not that bad. I'm a hardcore gear head and still don't care for the smell of gear oil.

6. The construction seems to be pretty good. It is somewhat heavy, but well balanced. In use the weight never became an issue.

7. I wish the cutting pressure could be adjusted. I think it puts too much pressure on the cutter. I would sacrifice a little cutting speed for a bit lighter touch.

All in all I think it's a pretty useful little bugger. A little pricey, but it's Milwaukee. I'm a Milwaukee fan from WAY back and these days I don't buy anything other than Milwaukee and Ridgid. Break just about every other brand of power tool on tough jobs, but never broke a Milwaukee or Ridgid. Well, not entirely true. I do have a Ridgid SeeSnake, but we won't talk about that POS.
                      Last edited by boutym; 02-01-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
                        ill betcha if ridgid made a cordless copper cutter rick would have a dozen of them!!!!
                        Same parent company I think (that's what a distributor told me)

I have one. Rocks on repairs and repipes in the joist pocket, wall or other tight spots, or when your arthritis flares up.

Hackzall saves a lot of time in tight spots too.

The drill is a dream

PVC shear is next for me. or maybe the subscanner.

The m12 line is great for service shops IMO

Comment

If you already have the batteries or charger maybe you have the PVC cutter here is the bare tool for $79 and a few others with batteries
                          http://search.cpomilwaukee.com/searc...tter&submit=GO
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                          X