X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How i get it up

guys, this is how i get it up by myself

just in case you never have

since i work by myself, i have to do things that typically would require 2 men.

50 gallon r-16 gas heater in an outside closet that is 36'' off the ground. this heater measure 23'' in diameter.

normally i can use my regular dolly to tilt it up. but 36'' is too high.

so here is my trick.

it's a block and tackle with a lifting eye that i screw into the 3/4'' nipple at the top of the heater. the other end is then lagged into a ceiling joist or plate with another lifting eye.

as you can see, i can lift and guide with one arm.

so how do you get it up

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: How i get it up

Very nice job Rick.

We had some apartments with a similar location for the water heaters but as I recall they were only 30" up. The way I use to do it was to lay the heater on the ground then lift the bottom of the heater into the closet. Once the bottom was in the closet I would lift the top of the heater and walk it in. In retrospect I now see how that was not real healthy on my back.

We had another group of apartment building where they had DSID 100-199 heaters. There were four heaters for each building and they installed two in the front of the closet and two directly behind the front two. This of course meant to replace a rear heater you had to move the front heater out of the way. Where the problem came in was the heater closets were on a ledge 10' above the ground with only a 60" ledge in front of the door. I always wondered how they could have allowed the building to be built that way. Anyways to change those out we had to use a Hi-Jack lift with long pipes as outriggers.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, I put my water heaters in the same way as you, I do make sure that they are positioned in a way that if there is a little smudge that it will be behind the heater. What would Plumber Rick do if he didn't have all those bars to work with.

Comment

rookie, actually i tied the heater off on the metal gate to allow me to take a picture while it was suspended.

as i was getting ready to snap it, the junk guy pulled up and took my old heater. perfect timing to get me in the photo

this way we know they're not stock photos, but the real deal

rookie glad to see you're back.

as you know being in l.a. it was a real hot (99+) one today as shown by my shirt.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
          Mark, I put my water heaters in the same way as you, I do make sure that they are positioned in a way that if there is a little smudge that it will be behind the heater. What would Plumber Rick do if he didn't have all those bars to work with.
          LOL-I'm still trying to figure out who keeps taking his pictures.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Very nice job Rick.

We had some apartments with a similar location for the water heaters but as I recall they were only 30" up. The way I use to do it was to lay the heater on the ground then lift the bottom of the heater into the closet. Once the bottom was in the closet I would lift the top of the heater and walk it in. In retrospect I now see how that was not real healthy on my back.

We had another group of apartment building where they had DSID 100-199 heaters. There were four heaters for each building and they installed two in the front of the closet and two directly behind the front two. This of course meant to replace a rear heater you had to move the front heater out of the way. Where the problem came in was the heater closets were on a ledge 10' above the ground with only a 60" ledge in front of the door. I always wondered how they could have allowed the building to be built that way. Anyways to change those out we had to use a Hi-Jack lift with long pipes as outriggers.

Mark
            That reminds me of a scary tub swapout I did years ago in a condo.The stairs were too narrow.Had to put a genie lift in the back of my truck to get the cast iron tub up and over the parapit wall of the second floor balcony.Seamed like by merely cranking the handle made enough sway to topple it.

Comment

I have taken out windows and craned them up with an excavator before... I know its cheating but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

i have to ask the question.

why in the hell do people design things like this?

how does something like this pass inspection?

seriously. why?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                  i have to ask the question.

why in the hell do people design things like this?

how does something like this pass inspection?

seriously. why?
                  Because Architects only have to make it work on paper.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    Because Architects only have to make it work on paper.

Mark

Comment

Nice job thinking your way around problems. I would have found someone that owed me one and lifted it probably.

Is that a LoNox heater?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Is that a LoNox heater?

J.C.
                        Yes. For us they have to be Ultra LoNox and FVIR
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

We're not LoNox-Yet. Things like that start in Cali. and head east. Might be good. Have to study and see.

What's the jiffy-pop-tinfoil in the combustion chamber area?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            We're not LoNox-Yet. Things like that start in Cali. and head east. Might be good. Have to study and see.

What's the jiffy-pop-tinfoil in the combustion chamber area?

J.C.
                            It is 100% sealed combustion chamber. Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR)
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              It is 100% sealed combustion chamber. Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR)
                              I'm familiar with Rheems FVIR system. (At least I think) But don't see tinfoil looking material in them.

Maybe it's the way the pics came out.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X