12' blind trenchless sewer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12' blind trenchless sewer

typically trenchless is a process of replacing an existing in place sewer line.

today i had an interesting 12' line to install in a rehab facility.

the plumber is doing a large rehab and needed to run a 4'' sewer line from 1 room through a hallway into the other room 12' away.

when i was there yesterday to locate the existing sewer main, i told them i could drill and install a 4'' hdpe pipe from room to room without any cutting into the common corridor.

so here is the process i used.

use my water jetter with a special set of boring pipes to hydro a 1'' hole with proper grade from i room to the other. the nice thing with the water jet is, it can hold grade pretty easy and it won't damage underground utilities if i hit them

then i used my perfecto water boring drill to drill a 4'' hole to the other side. this is how i did it. my 4'' cutters are a feed through design. this allows me to use a 3/4'' pipe x 1' long as a front arbor. the pipe is smashed and welded shut. then 2-1/8'' holes are drilled into the end to squirt sideways and allow for softening of the soil so the 4'' can cut and stay on tract.

then i attach a sling/ rope to the front of the cutter and pull it back into my trench.

i then use 4'' hdpe sdr17 pipe and attach the sling to the front nose of the pipe with a 3/8'' all thread bolt and shackle. this is used to guide the front of the pipe to the other room.

i cut a 14' section of pipe and use a sledge hammer to drive it in while the front is guided by the sling.

this even impressed me

the front hit the main dead on center line

as you can see, very little damage was done to the rear of the hdpe pipe with the sledge.

hdpe is a pipe that will last longer than all of us,
    put together

hope this gives you guys some first hand knowledge of blind trenchless boring.

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: 12' blind trenchless sewer

Where's the picture of the tie-in?

Mark

PS: What is an i room?
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

the last/ bottom photo is the 4'' line that the plastic will connect to.

i'm not the plumber here, just the grunt

i = 1 room to the other

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Very Nice.

Comment

Once again Rick,I'm impressed.
          Looks good.

Comment

Impressive

Comment

Thanks for sharing with the class Rick.

GOOD WORK.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Savage..!

Comment

Rick
                  use my water jetter with a special set of boring pipes to hydro a 1'' hole with proper grade from i room to the other. the nice thing with the water jet is, it can hold grade pretty easy and it won't damage underground utilities if i hit them
                  What exactly are you using here. I would like to get some more information on this technique. I am not familiar with with using a water jetter as a boring tool.
                  Thanks
                  Burt
                  Burt

A man who does not look to the future, will only regret his past!!!!!!!!

Comment

burt, i forgot to take a real picture of my water boring set up.

i will get a shot of it and post it. it's basically a set of 2'6'' pipes that have a jetter hose running through the entire 50' set up. once i start the first 2'6'' section, i grab the next piece that is already strung with the jetter hose in it and just hand screw the threaded 2'6'' extension pipe to it.

i have a variety of different nozzle tips to allow for different flows and jetters.

i'll post either tomorrow or monday when i go back to my shop.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick
                      I thought you were using some kind of special tooling on your jetter. I got it now. It is the simple things that work best. I can see how that set up would be very useful.
                      Thanks
                      Burt

A man who does not look to the future, will only regret his past!!!!!!!!

Comment

I would like to see the jetter boring tools also. Sounds crazy cool. Is this simular to what utility outfits use when putting pipes and conduits and whatever under streets and freeways?

Comment

as promised here are the pictures of the hydro jet boring set i use.

it's a rack of 20- 2'6'' (50') pipes with a jetter hose strung through it.

i assemble the proper nozzle based on gpm and screw it into the first 2'6'' section. this is the most critical section as it will not only be the guide, but the set the slope.

turn on the jetter and let the high pressure nozzle blast a hole into the dirt. as i get close to the end of the first section, i screw another 2'6'' section into the first piece.

this project was done with a 1500# 2.1gpm electric jetter indoors.

outside i can really bore with the trailer jetter and larger nozzle.

rick.

Attached Files
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Wow. I sure do wish I had this 24 years ago.

Good job Rick.

Comment

Rick, where did you get that setup and who makes it or did you build it?
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                              X