X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Virax

Has anyone seen or used the Stanley Virax http://www.stanleyvirax.com pressing tool yet? Saw it yesterday at a local supply house being demonstrated and was told it was at least $300 less than the Ridgid Propress and can use the Propress jaws or the Rothenberger jaw sets. I kind of liked the way their interchangeable inserts worked and was told by the rep that they are half the cost of other company's jaws
    ________
    Vapor Genie
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM.
    Mike

Re: Stanley Virax

Thanks for the link, I have not seen it. It looks cheap to me, but like I said, I haven't seen it.

I really want a propress but the reason I am not purchasing one is I do not think the price is fair. Sure it's fast and neat but 2,400.00? Come on.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

And there it is.The barn door left wide open again for the handyman/diy.

Watch out boys,here they come.

I haven't heard of them before Mike.
      I have heard of the REMS brand tool and they're junk.Barely a step above Harbor Freight grade.

Comment

actually i saw it at a local supply house barbecue a couple months back.

for $300 savings, do yourself a favor and stick with the propress

the machine if i remember correctly was made in france

i don't think they had a large 2.5'' -4'' jaw set yet.

i have their flyer and info.

not real impressive.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I have two and its jest fine

Comment

Priced it. Looked at a schematic. Seems there models would do just fine for alot repairs you might encounter.

If I was doing new construction, I like Ridgid/viega's and Rothenberger's larger battery models. Seems like I remember them being more durable & accurate between servicing. Need to reread though.

J.C.

Comment

The money you might save on a Virax could come back to haunt you sooner than you might think. Hydraulic tools need to be serviced periodically for a fee. During this service, the hydraulic fluid is changed, worn components are replaced, etc. For comparison's sake, the manufacturer's stated service intervals of the tools are as follows:

Stanley/Virax Compact Tool (M20+): 18,000 Cycles
              Stanly/Virax Standard Tool (P20+): 20,000 Cycles
              RIDGID Compact Tool (RP 210-B): 32,000 Cycles
              RIDGID Standard Tool (RP 330): 32,000 Cycles

In short, you're going to be incurring a service fee of around several hundred dollars (more or less) between 56% - 63% faster with a Virax tool than you would with a RIDGID tool. It might be nice up front, but RIDGID thinks long term.

Also, did I mention that the Virax solution for large diameter presses is to reccommend the RIDGID XL & XL-C Ring Kits? Follow the leader kids, you'll never go wrong.

Comment

my company recently purchased a REMS Akku-Press. Which was the press tool recommended by our Zurn representative. It was purchased for the 1.25 pex crimps for the risers in an apartment complex we're working on.

I'm not exactly happy with the product, While it feels heavy a lot of the workings of it seem like they fit together rather sloppily, like the battery, and the rotating shaft that contains the hydraulics.

Anyway, I'll likely end up purchasing my own propress at some point in the next year, just for the increase in speed it'll give me, and the decrease in system downtime. And because it's a new toy, and I have to have one.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

This is what I use for some things. Works well so far, lightweight, and easy to get in places.

Limited to 1" copper and 1.25" PEX if I recall right.
                  Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    This is what I use for some things. Works well so far, lightweight, and easy to get in places.

Limited to 1" copper and 1.25" PEX if I recall right.
                    how does the price compare to the propress? I'm mostly interested in the system for copper, I have 3 different pex crimping systems in my toolbox already.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

My opinion or REMS. Post #7.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25073

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Why? The #!$# thing weighs about 20lbs. . Way too fatiguing in my opinion.

J.C.

http://www.rems.de/go.aspx?tid=15&lid=2&pgid=6
                        I agree, it is a heavy bastard. The best part was the Old timer at our shop who got tasked with doing the water mains in the most recent building, just tosses the case in the back of his work truck, and leaves it out there in the rain.
                        I've pretty well decided that i'm not touching the thing anymore, for fear that it'll short out in my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                          how does the price compare to the propress? I'm mostly interested in the system for copper, I have 3 different pex crimping systems in my toolbox already.
                          Price is similar-sometimes cheaper. I honestly haven't priced either in awhile.

Ridgid is marketed much more and should give you good service. If you're a heavy user of a press tool, I'd lean towards them. More people will know about them, what to do about them, accessories & where to send them to get them going. Limit your downtime.

But if you're an occasional user, I'd consider all others.

Press Tool Makers or sellers of another mfg. design relabeled:

Ridgid
                          Rothenberger
                          Nibco
                          REMS
                          Stanley Virax
                          Viega-Yes they have models under their own name. I believe they make Ridgids or Ridgid makes there's.

J.C.

Comment

not to call you guys cheap, but its true-- viega and ridgid started it here together and they own the market--a local hack plumber installed a waterpark in the state with a crap rothencrap press(like jc's) and crap knockoff fittings--i believe hayward. when they turned on the water the day before opening up, they had 300 leaking and bad fittings--- i press everything i do and have never had a bad fitting , NEVER!!!!!! i only use RIDGID AND VIEGA--you cheapos keep using the crap and ill keep fixing it

i just dont understand why???? my reputation is on the line every fitting i press and every sewer i snake. i choose to keep my tools reliability in the hands of ridgid---because they dont let you down---try getting service on the other crap presses---my 320 press is 8 years old and has seen its better days--but still presses like a champ --just as well as my 330 and my compact. my reputation is very important--my clientsdont worry about me having to fix my tools in the driveway!!!!! i just dont know how you can be that much of a tightwad over a few hundred bucks---loosen and smarten up. i guess thats why i have over 20,000 customers in the database

Comment

personally, I sweat all of the copper I touch, which is quite a lot. I'm interested in a press for those occasions where I can't have the system down long, can't get the water to shut all the way off, etc. I'll likely always sweat the bulk of my copper. so yes, I would be interested in shaving off a few hundred bucks on a tool I'll use irregularly, a tool I'll spend my personal funds on, rather than having my company pay for it.

Most likely, when I buy one, it'll be a Ridgid, but that's still an eventuality.
                              And even if I get a Rothenberger, or Stanley, at least it's not a sharkbite <.<

Comment

Working...
                              X