X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propress impress

so i had to replace a leaking soldered 1'' gate valve today and the problem was that there was no play or room in the system to add a slip coupling or union.

so how did i do it

this is a 1'' copper water service that comes out of the concrete and into a stucco wall.

as you can see it's tight and i didn't jack hammer the concrete or chip the stucco to make room.

all i did was replace the 90 and the valve.

so how did i do it

there is no play in the line to assemble the fittings.

so how did i do it

please explain, then i'll tell you when you're right

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: Propress impress

Unsweat the 90/Gate Valve and disassemble the ball valve.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Comment

he cut the copper under the gate and at 90 and pressed it in

Comment

rick--why are u using viega knock offs????? havent i heard u talk of only viega fitts?????

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
            Exactly...

Comment

rick, i can't comment on your questions because i'm not familiar with propress. infact i haven't even seen it spec'ed with the new construction up here.

i do have a question though, what's the PRV for?

Comment

Cut that 90 with a diamond blade angle grinder in the turn of direction

Unsweat the leftover piece on the pipe leading to the main along with unsweating the gate valve.

Clean the two pieces of pipe exposed, work the new ball valve in with a new 90 along with the short pieces of copper pipe.

I promise I could of done it faster and in a far more tighter situation, for which that situation is in the wide open.

Given what your pictures are indicating, you are nearly at the tolerance of your fittings, any shorter of a distance and this thread wouldn't even exist.

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

needed to cut the copper under the valve to allow to drain and unsweat the 90.

J.C.
                  Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                  he cut the copper under the gate and at 90 and pressed it in
                  issue was not removing the old, but fitting the new in. there is no room for any slip coupling or union. there is no movement in the lines.

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                  rick--why are u using viega knock offs????? havent i heard u talk of only viega fitts?????
                  this is a "cim valve" much better than the viega valve. the fittings are all viega

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                  rick, i can't comment on your questions because i'm not familiar with propress. infact i haven't even seen it spec'ed with the new construction up here.

i do have a question though, what's the PRV for?
                  back in 1983 they allowed the prv on the service instead of needing one on the heater. pressure is still below 80#

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  Cut that 90 with a diamond blade angle grinder in the turn of direction

Unsweat the leftover piece on the pipe leading to the main along with unsweating the gate valve.

Clean the two pieces of pipe exposed, work the new ball valve in with a new 90 along with the short pieces of copper pipe.

no pipe was added as there is no room to add any pipe.

only used the valve and st90.

I promise I could of done it faster and in a far more tighter situation, for which that situation is in the wide open.

dunbar, i know for a fact that soldering was not the way to go. this a 2 story house and no access to drain anything above. noting to drain below the concrete as the meter is also in a concrete box.

Given what your pictures are indicating, you are nearly at the tolerance of your fittings, any shorter of a distance and this threa wouldn't even exist.

exactly. the propress fittings and valves are larger than solder fittings.

what i'm looking for is how did i piece this together with no play/ movement in any of the exisiting piping.

no one is close yet

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    issue was not removing the old, but fitting the new in. there is no room for any slip coupling or union. there is no movement in the lines.

this is a "cim valve" much better than the viega valve. the fittings are all viega

back in 1983 they allowed the prv on the service instead of needing one on the heater. pressure is still below 80#

what i'm looking for is how did i piece this together with no play/ movement in any of the exisiting piping.

no one is close yet

rick.
                    What makes the cimpress valve superior?

Greg

Comment

greg, there are a vew reasons.

look at that metal handle. it actually has a slot cut into the handle to allow it to be locked on or off.

you remove the handle nut, pull the handle off and install it back onto the valve locking onto that position.

the cost is lower

and if i told you everything right now, i might give the answer away

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Can you slip through the ball?

J.C.

Comment

no. but good guess.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

The couplings on it look deeper & away from the valve like you could slide it up down and still get the proper crimp. Other than that, I'm willing to learn.

J.C.

Comment

disassemble the top of the ball valve, slip it up on the street 90, swing it down to the pipe to assemble, then tighten the ball valve back together. Then press.?
                              The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X