X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 1/2 to 4 on the jobsite

What do you guys use to thread 2 1/2" to 4" on the job? Should I get the 141 for my 300, or is there something better?

Thanks
    Andy

Re: 2 1/2 to 4 on the jobsite

depending on how much pipe to thread, the 141 is a good choice.

dragging around a 93# 141 is a lot easier than a 1224 machine @ 509#

but then again a welder/ fitter might be the choice

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I made the decision over a year ago to weld all of my jobs over 2" after I found how easy it is.

Thanks HAWK.

Comment

I have no problems welding. I love my Miller 175. Just not sure I want to drag it into someones basement, when cutting a half dozen threads would finish the job. My 300 is already with me in my trailer all the time. I could probably find room for the 141 and the driveshaft too.

Whats a 4p?

Andy

Comment

Oh yeah, the part about me needing a fitter: Thats funny. I'll put my pipe up against anyones, and I can count on 1 hand the number of days I have been out-worked.

Andy

Comment

weld weld weld

it is so much easier
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The 141 and a 300 is great way to do anything except for production work.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What are you threading pipe for Steam,Gas,Process,HVAC piping ?

Comment

Just low pressure steam. Ive been getting more boiler calls lately and one of these days I'll get a replacement out of it. Honestly, the more I think about it, welding is the ticket. But I would like to be able to thread my own stuff up to 4" in case I needed to.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                    I have no problems welding. I love my Miller 175. Just not sure I want to drag it into someones basement, when cutting a half dozen threads would finish the job. My 300 is already with me in my trailer all the time. I could probably find room for the 141 and the driveshaft too.

Whats a 4p?

Andy
                    the 4p was the older version of the 141.

you really don't want that.

you need to change the dies for each size. 2.5'', 3'', 3.5'', 4''. plus it only threads taper. no straight threads.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Having a 141 or P4 is not a bad thing on residential and light commercial boiler installation. I have one for this purpose also there are some places like someone’s basement where welding would be unsafe. If you never welded pipe it’s hard I don’t care what anyone says. If you ever tried to weld in position you will see what I mean. You can’t beat a nice weld (steamfitter thing) you can make some nice headers and blow the other guy out of the water. The size pipe you can weld from 1/2" to 36" or bigger which is always nice one more thing over the other guy. You will need to add a few more tools to your trailer Pipe stand’s, jewel clamps, outfit, welder (miller maxstar 200 or 280), leads, wraparound, rod 6010 5P+ 1/8" 7018 3/32", 4 1/2" angle grinder, wheels 1/4" 0.45 and wire wheels

Comment

Are you using a gas powered stick welder? My MillerMatic 175 mig only pulls about 30 amps from the panel. Any older home with boiler piping big enough to require welding will have enough electrical service to handle it. My next welder purchase will be a TIG. Heliarc can be really fun. I have heliarc'd lots of 4340 Chromoly. Once you can figure out how to dab your filler rod you can make some beautiful welds.

Andy

Comment

Most of the time on presure piping with MIG is a no no yes, pulsed MIG is used in fab shops but thats another world. Most of the jobs I do for plumbers are 6010 all the way out(mostly Sch40 stuff) or 6010 root/hot and 7018 fill/cap. TIG is great, but not usually required on steam, water, chiller lines, etc.... Stick welding still is at the top of the heap in the pipe welding world.

Comment

For what we are talking about here a Miller 150 may be the ticket it's 120 to 220 volts small,light weight, and you can run up to 1/8" rod on 220 and is only $800.00. The machine that I run with is a Maxstar 200 you can stick or tig with it you can run it on anything from 120 vlots to 440 1 or 3 ph and was about $2200.00 for just the machine. I will post some pic I am on my way out the door right now. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                            X