X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bought a new #1 tool

Not as dramatic as a hospital but I got a call late one night for an emergency at one of the Mann's theaters we took care of. Someone had stepped on a hose bibb and snapped it off so water was flooding everywhere. I told the manager I had to shut the building down and he told me I had to wait for the place to close because the snack bar was the money maker and without water they could not do anything. I hammered a wedge of wood into the broken pipe and stood safety over it for three hours at double time until I could shut the place down. Had they made ProPresses back then I would have been off the job in under an hour.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'd buy one in a second if I thought there was one inch of space left on my truck for another tool. Not to mention the fittings and valves. Might be able to squeeze it in if I pulled the threaders and 3 legged vice off. Seem to be running mostly CSST lately anyways.

The price doesn't bother me so much. With all the R & D I can see why it's expensive. If I can make money with it or save money using it then I should buy it, right?

Probably would pay for itself within the first 10 uses anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Not as dramatic as a hospital but I got a call late one night for an emergency at one of the Mann's theaters we took care of. Someone had stepped on a hose bibb and snapped it off so water was flooding everywhere. I told the manager I had to shut the building down and he told me I had to wait for the place to close because the snack bar was the money maker and without water they could not do anything. I hammered a wedge of wood into the broken pipe and stood safety over it for three hours at double time until I could shut the place down. Had they made ProPresses back then I would have been off the job in under an hour.

Mark
        Yes but..... you made 4hrs. of double time without the press tool. You would have a lower bottom line with the press system.

(I already understand the other side so there's no need to explain it. )

J.C.

Comment

Seems to me the justification of cost is more jobs because the last one took less time. In a commercial and industrial world the use is priceless...if you can't do the job under their conditions then you don't get the job. Seeing that sharkbite doesn't make 6" couplings...but they do make upto 1". For the residential service plumber...a sharkbite can be used b4 you got your propress out of the box

Every tool has its purpose. Does the tool justify the cost? It does if people are willing to buy it!

Comment

Was bored tonight, so I started reading older threads, and this one interested me.

We are a small shop (2 guys) and 99.9% of our work is residential. I agree with those who say they can't justify the cost, because they are a small shop.

I'd agree that Pro-press is more practical for commercial.

I also agree with those who say that the tool can bail you out of a jam quickly.

Would I go out and buy one? Man I don't know, but I'm the type who would spend how ever much, just so I have that special tool for an emergency.

There is a lot of pluses I do like about the tool. I do take care of one commercial apartment building, and it's a pain in the *** shutting the water down, and waiting for it to "completely" drain.

Both sides made valid arguments, and I'm stuck in the middle on this one.

Comment

flux, i wouldn't steer you wrong

biggest expense is actually stocking up all the new inventory of fittings.

i would suggest couplings, adapters and 90's first.

then as you get more and more jobs out of it, you can invest in the bigger inventory. hold off on anything 2.5'' -4'' as you will need xlc jaws. this you buy once you land a good size job/ repair.

the k-60 has lots of hype

the propress has lots of hype from the people that own them too
              $5000. will get you a 330 propress and a very, very nice selection of fittings.

just like getting paid for soldering materials, i get paid for propress usage.

there is a payback on it

i should know, i have 7

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                flux, i wouldn't steer you wrong

biggest expense is actually stocking up all the new inventory of fittings.

i would suggest couplings, adapters and 90's first.

then as you get more and more jobs out of it, you can invest in the bigger inventory. hold off on anything 2.5'' -4'' as you will need xlc jaws. this you buy once you land a good size job/ repair.

the k-60 has lots of hype

the propress has lots of hype from the people that own them too
                $5000. will get you a 330 propress and a very, very nice selection of fittings.

just like getting paid for soldering materials, i get paid for propress usage.

there is a payback on it

i should know, i have 7

rick.
                I never thought of sticking it to my customers and making my job easier at the same time. Not bad.

J.C.

Comment

I was just looking at the different models and I think the RP330c would be an ideal fit for us, cause this building as 2" water mains inside, with a few different branch sizes.

I think I agree Rick..if we were to get this tool, we would start out with the basic fittings. I have no idea how much these fittings cost, so I definitely would have to look into that.

But it would be a nice selling point to some of these commercial buildings in my area.

This apartment building we do take care of..if we have to shut the water down..we are there for a solid half of day if not longer. It's so time consuming, and takes time away from another potential customer. God help us if we have a leak on a solder joint...ugh!

Me and pop have some things to talk about now.

I went into this thread against this tool, and now you guys f'ed me all up.

But again..good valid arguments in this thread.... I see both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                    I was just looking at the different models and I think the RP330c would be an ideal fit for us, cause this building as 2" water mains inside, with a few different branch sizes.

I think I agree Rick..if we were to get this tool, we would start out with the basic fittings. I have no idea how much these fittings cost, so I definitely would have to look into that.

But it would be a nice selling point to some of these commercial buildings in my area.

This apartment building we do take care of..if we have to shut the water down..we are there for a solid half of day if not longer. It's so time consuming, and takes time away from another potential customer. God help us if we have a leak on a solder joint...ugh!

Me and pop have some things to talk about now.

I went into this thread against this tool, and now you guys f'ed me all up.

But again..good valid arguments in this thread.... I see both sides.
                    You might need a press tool. Think about what you need though. Rick can tell you, the fittings are the best quality (At least twice as thick. Maybe they have to be? ) and the pricing for them is through the roof also. Again, depends on what you need.

Many people have done just fine with Jet Swets. They even make Flow-Thrus as an option if you can't get the water off or need to be working will draining.

Give it a look. Just another option. Depends on what's your budget and how often you will use something as you probably know

Good luck.

http://www.brenelle.com/

http://www.brenelle.com/index.php?type=cat&kind=6

Comment

Flux I am lucky to live near Chicago, and have a good relationship with Allan J Coleman. They rent tools, drain machines, sewer cameras, locaters and even ProPress. They also sell fittings for a decent price (Rick you should call Marvin or Shane and inquire about the fittings). Well on my fourth time going to AJ Coleman's to rent the ProPress, I decided to make the plunge and buy a unit.

Now when considering buying I unit I had a few choices in brand new models.
                      1. RP 100-B Jaw only swivels 90º at the time it would only do up to 1" unless you get the swivel crimp rings then you can do 1 1/4, I was just informed at the Road Show that this unit can use the 1 1/4 crimp jaw now. Also battery is Makita
                      2. RP 210-B Jaw swivels 270º comes with the 1 1/4 jaw, uses new Ridgid batteries.
                      3. RP 330-B or 330-C The C unit is corded no batteries to worry if they are charged and such can do up to 2" with standard press jaws.
                      Now I was at AJ Coleman and Marvin gave me great prices on all above models. So I thought long and hard how much work I do with what size pipes. After a while I realized that 98% of my work was 3/4" to 1" with some 1/2" in the mix. So I decided that its would be the RP 100-B or 210-B Now I thought a bit more about this.. I hardly ever work with 1 1/4 pipe so to save a few bucks I went with the RP 100-B, as for the other 2% of work I do which is 1 1/2 and 2" I would just rent the larger unit form AJ Coleman or just use sweat fittings. I am real happy with my choice of the RP 100-B it has made many jobs go much smoother, especially when having the water turned off to some of the jobs had to be minimized. I was able to press in a ball valve real fast then restore the water to the building before anyone even knew what happened.

For service work I say this tool is defiantly a plus. Many will argue what did I do in the past before ProPress, I will tell them upset my customers with long water outages. No matter what kind of work you do be it drain cleaning plumbing, hairdressers, you name it, the number one priority is making your customer happy.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        I never thought of sticking it to my customers and making my job easier at the same time. Not bad.

J.C.
                        not sticking it to the customer. charging them a very fair price for the use/ wear on a very expensive tool.

i guess i could incorporate the charge into the fittings, but i don't.

do you charge for your solder, flux and gas for the torch?

do you charge for the use of your sewer machine?

do you charge for the use of your sewer camera?

not 1 person ever complained about a charge for the propress.

i know my jetters are not free to operate and i do charge for their use, like every company does that owns one.

you get my point

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I do. And you get mine.

All good.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                          X