X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a new #1 tool

Today i bought a brand new ridgid rp330b propress-----its my 3rd---this is 1 sweet tool--much lighter,270 degree swivel head,18 volt li ion batteries weigh nothing and its much quieter and i believe quicker--it pressed a 2" mip quicker than my 320--good job ridgid-----

if anyone buys a press, ask for this one, not the old 320--the supply houses are trying to off the old 320's b4 they hand the330 out--man is this thing sweet---im gonna kick my wife outta bed tonight and make room for my new baby

u whiners that complain about the press---anytime, anywhere any job, my press job will look better than ur solder job----wait till i post the pics of the 3&4" ppress boiler we r doing--saved atleast 2 days of labor with press

Re: bought a new #1 tool

Quite a few of my buildings have water system "rocking" issues(movement of water causing momentum swaying).Do you think crimps can hold up to 40 years of this like the solder joints have.

I've been waiting a few weeks to ask the P/P's about this.

OOPS,
    Congats on your new baby.Boy or girl?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      Quite a few of my buildings have water system "rocking" issues(movement of water causing momentum swaying).Do you think crimps can hold up to 40 years of this like the solder joints have.

I've been waiting a few weeks to ask the P/P's about this.

OOPS,
      Congats on your new baby.Boy or girl?
      dirty,

i can't make any comments on the propress issue because i've never seen the stuff let alone use it.

i do have something to share though. one of my instructors in plumbing school was telling us this story about a lead pipe that was dug up in egypt that was used for water.

they did a pressure test on it (i believe it was something like 50 or 60 psi), and the solder joint held the pressure.

one more interesting thing "Bert VanDamm" told us was that back in those days plumbers stamped their work with a symbol unique to them. according to the sysmbol on this solder joint, it was made by a woman.

more useless info brought to you by Vince the plumber.

Comment

Congratulations on the new tool. I have wanted one for a long time.

I understand it saves time and it's safer but that still does not justify the cost of the tool to me. The tool is simply not worth 2,400, that is not a fair price for what you get.

Think about it for a minute, 2,400.00. Is that a fair price for the tool?

Think about what a person could buy for 2,400, then look at that tool.

Maybe someone at Ridgid could justify the cost to me. I am willing to listen and learn, maybe it is worth two thousand four hundred dollars. What makes that tool cost that much?
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
          Congratulations on the new tool. I have wanted one for a long time.

I understand it saves time and it's safer but that still does not justify the cost of the tool to me. The tool is simply not worth 2,400, that is not a fair price for what you get.

Think about it for a minute, 2,400.00. Is that a fair price for the tool?

Think about what a person could buy for 2,400, then look at that tool.

Maybe someone at Ridgid could justify the cost to me. I am willing to listen and learn, maybe it is worth two thousand four hundred dollars. What makes that tool cost that much?
          for us that went to the round up, we saw the propress testing stand.

every single jaw is hand detailed and tested with a real fitting. all the figures are documented and entered into their database.

what you're paying for is the 20,000-30,000 crimps prior to needing service.

so basically it breaks down to approx. 10 cents a crimp. a small price to pay when you compare that to the cost of soldering. (gas, flux, solder, labor)

you want expensive, try buying a "t-drill" how about diamond core bits. every tool we buy should have a payback zone figured into it.

just like we charge for soldering materials, i charge for propress.

in fact, there has not been 1 person complain about that charge. they are more impressed with the tool and the process.

in fact a year ago, while visiting a job to install some propress shut off valves. the homeowner in charge new a lot about the process and then recognized me from my avatar on this forum

the less company's that have this technology, the better chance i have of being the one to do the impossible job.

do you really think you could compete with me on an occupied building swapping out gate valves to ball valves?

i'll be working with the water still dripping/ running and you'll be trying to sand and flux while the water is not allowing you to solder.

it's the price to pay for the all the r and d that goes into the tool.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I am not debating it's usefulness. What I am saying is 2,400 is too much for that tool. Show me that it cost 2,400 to produce that tool. It simply is not a fair price for that tool.

You have to charge for the tool because it costs so much rick. If it didn't cost as much you would not charge the customer extra money to use it.

Tell me you can look at that tool and see it is worth 2,400. Think about it.

Could someone from Ridgid justify the tool cost to me without bringing up how useful it is? I'll admit I am wrong if you can set me straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
              I am not debating it's usefulness. What I am saying is 2,400 is too much for that tool. Show me that it cost 2,400 to produce that tool. It simply is not a fair price for that tool.

You have to charge for the tool because it costs so much rick. If it didn't cost as much you would not charge the customer extra money to use it.

tyman, do you give away the solder, flux, and gas?

plus i will get it done in under 1/2 the time of soldering. so the customer comes out way ahead with me.

Tell me you can look at that tool and see it is worth 2,400. Think about it.

Could someone from Ridgid justify the tool cost to me without bringing up how useful it is? I'll admit I am wrong if you can set me straight.
              please break down the cost of every tool we buy

a large portion of it goes into the bench testing and scrap fittings.

why are cordless tools twice as expensive as a better quality corded tool?

why not buy a used one?

not everyone buys new cars

don't make me break down the cost of all my tools and 5 propress machines joey might knock me off

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Again, Rick my point is the cost of the tool. We can talk flux, soldier, gas, time, speed blah blah blah but what I am talking about is cost of the tool itself.

I am not talking about breaking down the cost of every tool we buy here.

Is a Ridgid aluminum pipe wrench worth the 60.00 it cost? My answer is yes. Is the same pipe wrench worth 600.00? No.

It would be nice to get a valuable tool for a fair price instead of buying a used one to compensate for a exaggerated retail price.

Rick I don't want you to get into trouble with Joey. My wife would be hot too if I had $10,000+ in 5 propress tools and it was only me running the company.

The reason a person has to talk about speed and savings is because the tool cannot stand on its own for the price.

Comment

tyman, what do you think about the seesnake and it's cost with a good locater?

is it worth $10,000?

probably not 10k worth of parts, but ridgid is not having any problems selling them.

remember the lifetime warranty built into every plumbing tool they sell.

you're not the only one that thinks this.

of the 4 supply houses i buy from. they only sell propress to a handful of shops/ guys.

the less competition, the better chance i'll continue getting the work that they can't do. in fact these guys have subbed me out to do the work for them.

is it worth the $2400. yes. does it have $2400 worth of parts in it. no.

the real cost are the fittings. these can be 2-3 times more than solder fittings. but remember that the quality of these fittings is 2-3 times that of a solder fitting. there is no comparison.
                  the tool is 1 cost, the real savings is in the labor.

so what is the best return on the dollar. probably my k-39af snake. i get $15. a drain with it. 20 drains and it's paid for.

tyman, i hate to say it, but you can buy it now, or wait til next year when it's a couple hundred dollars more

i'll sell you a good used one

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I'm gonna beat my head into a wall. BAHHHHH!

At least I got you to agree that their tool does not have two thousand four hundred dollars worth of parts.

Ridgid needs to make a profit and pay the bills I understand that. What I am saying is that the modified drill on steroids value is not worth two thousand four hundred dollars.

You brought up the lifetime warranty so lets touch on that. Take pipe wrenches, the warranty lasts the lifetime of the tool. What that means is Ridgid decides what a lifetime is. Could be one year, could be twenty probably depends on the person looking at it.

Ridgid pumps, Wet dry vacs & PROPRESS same thing, lifetime of the product whatever that is.

Remember Aaron91's gas sniffer fiasco? I'll stop there.

I have to finish waxing my truck with my 600.00 wax. later

Comment

do not confuse the ridgid line of plumbing tools with the vacs. and cordless stuff.

that is a totally different warranty.

remember there is not 10k worth of parts in a camera and locater either, but ridgid has no problem selling them. in fact i would guess that there are more cameras and locator's sold than propress machines sold.

ridgid is not going to drop the price on their machine. they don't have to.

in fact the higher it is, the less people/ plumbers/ handymen, homeowners can afford them.

this makes my tool more valuable as i have no competition in doing the job.

dave, i see your $2400 and raise you $1000

i too wish i didn't need to spend that kind of money on tools. when i first started out at age 12, i couldn't afford a 14'' ridgid wrench. so i bought an import

buy what you can afford. rent it if you need to. there will be a day that the tool will bring you a return on your investment.

i hope you're still not hand threading your pipe

once again, only a hand full of plumbers at each one of my supply houses have a propress machine. the more that have it, the less work i can generate.

dave, i take back that offer, i raise you $2000.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, your statement about how much work the ProPress has generated for you makes no sense to me. How much work did you turn down in the past because you didn't have it?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Rick, your statement about how much work the ProPress has generated for you makes no sense to me. How much work did you turn down in the past because you didn't have it?

J.C.
                          i never turn down work i could do.

now i have a tool that most others don't.

when i can be 50% cheaper because i can do it in seconds and not hours, who do you think will get the job?

i've even gotten jobs while at the plumbing supply house just standing there and listening to them talk about the situation.

i suppose you can do the same job as i can in the same amount of time and bill the same amount. i doubt it.
                          there is no way a person who has to sand, flux and solder, can get it done faster than a person who has to squeeze a trigger in 4 seconds.

there is a reason why i have pipe freezing equipment.

i can do jobs, that others will have to hire out for.

we can say the same thing about jetting, pipe bursting, and every other piece of specialty equipment.

you really don't want to have to compete with me in a heads up soldering vrs. propress job. do you?

the bottom line is the tool and fittings are more money than a torch and a solder type fitting. but it's the labor factor that will win every time. not to mention that a propress fitting is more than twice the copper content, better sweep and no flux or solder/ lead to worry about. plus a 50 year warranty.

your turn

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            i never turn down work i could do.

now i have a tool that most others don't.

when i can be 50% cheaper because i can do it in seconds and not hours, who do you think will get the job?

i've even gotten jobs while at the plumbing supply house just standing there and listening to them talk about the situation.

i suppose you can do the same job as i can in the same amount of time and bill the same amount. i doubt it.
                            there is no way a person who has to sand, flux and solder, can get it done faster than a person who has to squeeze a trigger in 4 seconds.

there is a reason why i have pipe freezing equipment.

i can do jobs, that others will have to hire out for.

we can say the same thing about jetting, pipe bursting, and every other piece of specialty equipment.

you really don't want to have to compete with me in a heads up soldering vrs. propress job. do you?

the bottom line is the tool and fittings are more money than a torch and a solder type fitting. but it's the labor factor that will win every time. not to mention that a propress fitting is more than twice the copper content, better sweep and no flux or solder/ lead to worry about. plus a 50 year warranty.

your turn

rick.
                            I have no idea why you seem to always take things to a personal affront or are just determined to "win" a discussion. I really could care less if your ten times faster at soldering vs. ProPressing. I can already do all the numbers that you do and know the time savings, cost of fittings, manufacturers, test data. It's a no brainer for doing large jobs where the labor would kill you. But if you are a 1 to 2 man shop there is alot more to think about.

I dare say your ProPress tool has not generated one dime of business for you. As you said, you don't turn down work. You would have done the job anyway. The jobs you got that other wouldn't do are not necessarily due to your ProPress. You would have done them anyway.

You answered all questions in your first two sentences for me. Don't take it personally. I don't want to have a footrace with you either.

J.C.

Comment

I'm not confused about the warranty at all. The guy who takes his propress or pipe wrench in for free repair might be though. We spent 5 weeks trying to get a new tubing cutter replaced that tracked.

"Lifetime of the tool" = If we feel like it.

I am turning in my Lenox aluminum wrench under warranty. They also have the "If we feel like it" warranty.

It is not a matter of being able to afford it. The point is, it is not a fair price for what you get. BAHHHHH!

I won't get into locater's and cameras. Lets just try to justify a two thousand four hundred dollar propress itself. It can't be done. We can talk about how cool I'll be or how many friends I'll make but it is still overpriced, period.

Yes, I still hand thread sometimes. I even use a torch to soldier.

Comment

Working...
                              X