Rolling back a mission band

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling back a mission band

have you ever needed to fold back a mission band to allow it to drop into a fixed location? sort of how we roll back a no hub band to drop it into a fixed spot.

well, it can be done, but it takes a lot of hand and finger maneuvering.

i figured i'll post it to show it.

this is a mission rubber mr02-44 4'' iron/plastic to 4'' clay. the 4'' clay side is what i rolled back to drop it into a tight section 3' in the ground.

usually i just pull the band onto the 4'' plastic/ iron and then slide it back onto the clay. in this case the plastic was too short to slide it completely back onto the pipe.

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: Rolling back a mission band

I do this all the time, but I run extremely hot water over the rubber to make it pliable, short of waving my torch over it.

The water works much better, especially if you drop it in boiling water.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar,
      that reminds me. We were doing a c.i. underground in about 0 degrees. Our push gaskets were causing us problems. We had them sitting on the floorboard of a truck, with the heater running, but it didn't make them very pliable. I was a first year and came up with a brilliant idea. I took our lead oven, which sat on a propane bottle and fired it up, placed a couple of pieces of flattened flue pipe on it, then set a decorative popcorn tin bucket that one of the guys was using to hold tools or something, filled it with water and and push gaskets and was able to keep the heat low enough not to burn the flue pipe. It was too hot to grab a gasket with bare hands, but not boiling.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        I do this all the time, but I run extremely hot water over the rubber to make it pliable, short of waving my torch over it.

The water works much better, especially if you drop it in boiling water.
        Used to do that in the winter for tyseal joints. we'd put a 5 gal metal bucket of water on the lead furnace with the flame real low and toss in some gaskets. They'd be nice and pliable and pop right in no sweat. Not required down south or on the west coast, but a real time saver here in the mid-Atlantic states come winter time.

DOH! shudda looked further down. I see bogart has used the same trick.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
        X