X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my little soldering secret??

when i'm soldering a joint that's hard to get at or it's a big one, i heat up the joint just a little bit where we apply the solder at the top.

i heat it up just enough to let the solder stick to it then i direct the torch at the strand of solder till it melts off. this leaves a little piece of solder on the top of the joint.

you could also snip off a little piece and put it on the top of the joint by sticking it on the flux. but the little piece tends to fall off.

then i begin heating the joint. i use the little piece as a indicator. when it melts, i know the joint is ready to solder.

this method also allows me to use both hands to heat the joint for the big ones.

p.s. i also listen for the sizzle of the flux when heating

i've never been called normal and i reserve the right to make abnormal statements as it greatly enhances the world i live in.

Re: my little soldering secret??

That's a little unusual but a pretty good tip I'll try that on the next tough spot

I like to dip my solder in the flux first when soldering big joints. I don't know why I do it though

If this goes against standard soldering practices, I'll delete this post and deny I ever said that

Comment

I find what helps me when I have to solder a lot of large joints is to mutter under my breath while I'm working 'Why haven't I bought a ProPress yet?' Then when I get done I usually forget about the ProPress until the next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
        I find what helps me when I have to solder a lot of large joints is to mutter under my breath while I'm working 'Why haven't I bought a ProPress yet?' Then when I get done I usually forget about the ProPress until the next time.
        i personally have just one concern about the propress you guys talk about.

my concern is the o-ring. what happens when it rots out and everthing starts leaking. i'm trying not to be biased, but it almost sounds too good to be true.

i might be accidently standing on the runway again, or barking up the wrong power pole, again.

is my concern warranted?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

my concern is the o-ring. what happens when it rots out and everthing starts leaking. i'm trying not to be biased, but it almost sounds too good to be true.

i might be accidently standing on the runway again, or barking up the wrong power pole, again.

is my concern warranted?

Vince

I could be wrong but about the o ring but who knows. I think they will be fine for quite along time if undisturbed. Example how often does a valve leak from the stem when you turn it off. But that same valve would have been fine for another 20 years if left untouched.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

is my concern warranted?

Vince
            vince, the o-ring is not really being used as an o-ring like in a typical application. it's actually just a seal that is compressed.

viega that makes the fittings along with others do warranty their product for 50 years.

if we are concerned about seals, then every sprinkler system and victaulic copper connection would be leaking.

no need for the solder trick. all you need to master is pulling the trigger and waiting 4 seconds for the crimp to complete. wet or dry

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              vince, the o-ring is not really being used as an o-ring like in a typical application. it's actually just a seal that is compressed.

viega that makes the fittings along with others do warranty their product for 50 years.

if we are concerned about seals, then every sprinkler system and victaulic copper connection would be leaking.

no need for the solder trick. all you need to master is pulling the trigger and waiting 4 seconds for the crimp to complete. wet or dry

rick.
              Hi Rick!!

maybe i'm just afraid of change.

Vince

Comment

I need to get a propress, it sounds great. As soon as they make it code here in North Carolina. I don't think its been approved yet by our sloooooow state board.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  I need to get a propress, it sounds great. As soon as they make it code here in North Carolina. I don't think its been approved yet by our sloooooow state board.
                  better hurry as i think j.c. is thinking of 1 too

don't let him knock you off

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

plumberscrack,

i did this check valve replacement. i thought it would be the perfect opportunity to show what i'm talking about.

sorry for the crappy pic. but you get my snow drift.

3" type L

type L is code up here for all water applications.

type M for heating

Vince
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X