Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To solder or not to solder

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1HX6ah...eature=related

Anyone ever used this? What if there was a leak on one join would you have to replace tee and start all over again? Is it the same with propress stuff up one join and have to replace the tee or is the propress pretty fail safe have not done anything with it but my 2IC got one and swears by it no more soldering for him. Personally would rather solder, glad i don't have to compete with people using this.

Re: To solder or not to solder

I can remember that stuff being introduced in Australia about eighteen months ago but I don't know of anyone that used it.
    The scary thing with that sort of stuff is what happens to the finished product if the distributor goes out of buisness and the joints start leaking, who takes the responsibility to fix it, you.
    I reckon that I could silver braze that with a normal oxy torch not map gas.I would have fibro (cement) sheet against the walls so as to not burn the timber.

As I am a recent convert I would propress it and been out of their in a few minutes. I think that if I brazed the three joints it would take at least ten minutes, plus carrying the oxy gear in.

Simon

Comment

There is PLENTY of room to solder that joint without scorching the wood. But you have to know how and have the proper size tips for your torch.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        There is PLENTY of room to solder that joint without scorching the wood. But you have to know how and have the proper size tips for your torch.
        Along with a little water applied to the wood with your already on hand squirt bottle you would use sheet metal to add extra protection.

I hate burnt wood.Here you have tradesmen taking pride in their work then some swollen headed premadonna comes through with total disregard for another mans work.Let alone what it looks like to those who walk the job before it's covered.

Comment

lets be professional for gods sake.

Comment

You wouldn't believe how many goldfish suffered the ultimate in the making of that video.

At least 400!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

more goo in the industry ? what a novel idea.

Comment

The S.F. inspectors love this stuff, Solder is OUT!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The link says the video is no longer available, what's the name?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    The S.F. inspectors love this stuff, Solder is OUT!
                    i really hope your joking

Comment

The stuff is called Kalimex Just-For -Copper, i have never seen it in the flesh just on youtube when looking at other things.
                      Is this the future? i can just imagine project builders pressuring govt (backhanders) to getting rid of plumbers and training chimps to do a tube out, glad im in oz as we are usually a few years behind the rest of the world so might be able to reach retirment befor a monkey takes my job!
                      Its unfortunate that far to many people only ever look at $$$ instead of quality work and products, but i could be wrong but as no one has responded saying they use it and what a fantastic product it is i think i may be right.

Comment

just an observation.

i noticed the commercial didn't make any comments about how long this "stuff/glue" lasts. hhhmmmm.

if it's so good then how come the goldfish can't blink? it looks out of it's tree to me

Vince

Comment

I think this stuff will never last as long as sweating joints. But that being said, epoxies have come a long way. Trane uses a propriatary epoxy for connecting their aluminum evaporators to copper manifolds. The pressures are way higher than a water system would see. I think there will be a time where adhesives will take this share of the market but it won't be anytime soon.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

My company (we remodel apartments) sent me out with this stuff to repair the pipe for a tub spout. The pipe broke when they tried to unscrew the old spout. I figured since the joint isn't under pressure no harm could come. Read directions, applied it and waited a couple of hours. When I went to screw on the new spout, the whole joint turned with it. Since then I've been sure to keep my torch kit with me.

Comment

Working...
                            X