• Show
Clear All

Re: tips for apprentices

question everything.

either inwardly, or outwardly.

Vince

Comment

LISTEN, and watch the guy that has been doing this for 20-30 years and don't give him any $hit. You are being paid to learn, and the years of experience that are being given to you are priceless. Oh yeah LISTEN, and pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by vince the plumber View Post
        removing abs glue from hands

i don't know what it's called but it's the black open weave (water proof??) sanding sheets used by the mudder guys. The kind that fits on the sanding block.

Under running water it removes abs glue from the hands.

I stumbled on this one by accident.

Vince
        buy the heavy blue gloves !!!!!!!!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: tips for apprentices , and Eskimos

Hey Ca. Guys and Girls. What's all these frozen wax rings and boot talk about???????

Even in Northern Ca. it was in the 70s Yesterday
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

One tip I forgot for almost all helpers/apprentices. You can overtighten almost anything.

J.C.

Comment

Okay apprentices; when they send you to the bone yard for "sky hooks" disregard it. Also when you carry a laddle of hot lead and they yell " put one hand under the bottom of the laddle so you won't spill any" disregard that one also..................

Comment

1. when cutting all thread you can use your channel locks to break that last thread off if it wasnt straight enouph to get the nut on.
                2. if it has threads then u can put pipe dope on it

Comment

Didn't read all the way through this thread, but these are more about life lessons for each of us. Some or all of this may have already been coverd.

Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water, take you arm and make a fist and push it to the bottom of the bucket, yank your arm out of the bucket as fast as you can and watch the water fill the hole where your arm was. The time it took the water to fill that hole is how long it takes to replace you on the job. In the current economy this holds more importance, there are alot of people out of work and would like your job.

Work with as many Journeyman as you possibly can during your apprenticeship, and conform to each ones way of doing things. In the end you take from each what works best for you and become a better mechanic.

You can learn from every plumber you work with, even if it's what not to do.

There are more but I have to get going for today.
                  sigpic
                  www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Is the bucket of steam next to the pipe streacher, or the left handed screw driver?

Comment

tozzi you forgot the left handed pipe wrench.Or the all time classic, one of my dad's hands told me to go ask the old man if the water main he just hit with the 580c was a hot or a cold water leak. I never saw him get that mad before.

Comment

Tip # 7654-32A : "How to minimize cross threading when joining a pvc mip adapter to a metal female thread".
                        Before putting on any teflon tape or thread sealer dry fit the adapter into the female thread and snung it up back and forth to remove any high points or casting lines in the pvc treads. Remove the pvc adapter. Now put 3 to 4 wraps of teflon tape and teflon pipe dope on the adapter and turn the pvc adapter backwards till you feel it drop into the thread. Now you are ready to tighten it up! Saves alot of frustation especially if you have limited fittings on hand and can't afford to waste any!

Comment

don't dip a cold laddle into hot lead.

when checking for leaks on mechanical joints, first dry with toiletpaper/cloth/whatever then after a little while, wipe the joint with your finger. for some reason the finger is much better for seeing a slow drip.

clean the floor under the toilet for the customer when replacing it. don't forget to make them aware of it. they'll apprectiate it.

i keep a couple of three or four plastic shopping bags in my tool pouch so i can use them as old wax seal/old parts garbage bag.

when your not sure about something, ask. don't guess. better to be cautious and alive then stupid and dead.

Vince

Comment

The most important thing I was taught as an apprentice was no matter what, always take pride in your work. A lot of guys just slap things together, don't ever get into those bad habits, and don't ever be afraid to suggest something you think may be easier.

Comment

oh yeah.....**** flows downhill and don't bite your fingernails.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                                Is the bucket of steam next to the pipe streacher, or the left handed screw driver?

Don't forget the power hammer!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X