X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" Pipe, 3 Different Countries

What a day, I get my drawings in the morning. Go out to the yard to get my pipe, 4 sticks, 2 countries, plus the fittings, China, Russia and the fittings are good old USA. I go to cut what I need the Russian pipe has this black tar like coating and won't cut(burning mind you) worth a crap even with most of it ground off. The Chineese pipe cuts ok . I go to fit an American elbow to 2 lengths of Russian pipe, ID ok, OD a little large, welds fine. Next victim, American tee to Chineese pipe, HMMMMM ID and OD a good 1/16 off. Last but not least, Chineese to Russian pipe, the Chineese pipe is a Good 3/32" smaller and almost lays in with a 30 degree bevel to the ID of the Russian pipe. Just goes to show the global economy in action. All I want is Usa(or Canada) pipe and fittings

Re: 18" Pipe, 3 Different Countries

seen it

Comment

ASME specs allow for a certain tolerance range for each size and schedule and if you get pipe and fitting that are at the extreme opposite ends of the tolerance it could mean a lot of transitioning to get a good fit up.
      We just ran into the same problem with some 14" XH chrome and in this case the elbows were slightly oval. Tried to have them returned but they were within spec which meant an extra 1-2 hours transitioning the pipe and the fitting. (100% x-ray )

Comment

I run into this every day.I have seen fittings and pipe from all 7 continents!
        Just recently we got some 18" weld tees made in Vietnam! I wonder how many of our planes,tanks,and M-16s went into making them!

Comment

Working...
        X