X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless

In threading stainless steel. using HSS dies it seems one or more of the threads tear out on each joint I do. Do i need special dies or a differrent lube.( using machinests oil for cutting threads) thanks

Re: Stainless

How many joints have you done with the current HSS threader dies? It may be time for a new set... I bet the SS tears them up pretty good.

Okie

Comment

was a brand new set i started with and the first joint i did tore out a thread i have been looking in the Ridgid website and noticed they have SS dies . is thr that much difference to make it worth while buying?

Comment

Ridgid recommends using extreme perfomance oil when threading stainless steel. It is a high performance oil that has been formulated for stainless steel threading.

Comment

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Thread-Cutting-Oil

---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Try Tap Magic cutting fluid, or the old stand by for SS, bacon grease

Comment

90 wt. Engine Honey may work as well

Stainless is as tuff as it gets unless you get into exotic stuff like Titanium.

I would get the Ridgid SS Dies ( I did not know Ridgid had them) and use a high quality cutting cutting fluid...

Let us know how it goes for ya

Okie

Comment

I have a fair bit of stainless, I would not even attempt it with out the ss dies, and quality oil. Also watch out for a bad batch of china fittings that are lingering around

Comment

I have to agree with the guys here! Ordinary dies aren't tough or sharp enough. You're not even going to get 1 thread per new die. Go for the SS tools.
                  When cutting or drilling in stainless, you have to be doing just that. When things are going just right, you'll see a nice swarf comming off all the time. As soon as you start "wearing" your way through, or going too fast,(Too high RPM) then SS will work harden, and become very difficult indeed.
                  If you try drilling holes in SS with a drill press, and experimenting a bit with RPM, & drill pressure(less than you think) You'll soon get the "feel" for SS.
                  NB Always use lubricant - a little but often.
                  Greetings from Norway!! (Lots of nice ski-snow right now)

Comment

ss dies r a must..... cutting oil doesnt really matter as long as your using cutting/threading oil

Comment

If you think cutting oil doesn't matter thread some stainless with automatic transmission fluid and see the difference. I have done alot of waste water treatment plant work and stainless threads nice with lots of ATF and standard high speed dies, go slow stopping if necessary to keep heat down and fluid type and quanity DOES matter. Not sure if extreme cutting oil would do better than ATF but ATF works (don't ask how i originally discovered this).

Comment

any standard cutting oil.... not transmission fluid, wd-40, or victaulic grease....

Comment

I would agree with using SS dies and quality cutting fluid.
                          Another factor that can cause tear out is having a poor face end; see

http://www.rexind.co.jp/e/catalog/pdf/P31-32.pdf

This describes the theory

Hope it helps

Comment

Working...
                          X