Bonding 90 degree black pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonding 90 degree black pipe

One more question regarding black pipe -- with my current project, I have two sections of black pipe joined at 90 degrees. One length can be considered an axle, while the other is a "handle" to rotate the axle.

I've assembled these pipes as tight as I can, but obviously need further bonding power, as when I rotate the handle, the axel doesn't spin, but rather threads, or un-threads the 90 degree connection (the axel is attached to a rather heavy load).

What's the best way to bond these items? Will a product like Loctite Sumo do the trick? Can I solder black pipe? Or should I be looking into welding?

Thanks,
    --Jeff

Re: Bonding 90 degree black pipe

If ya got it, weld it.

A couple of tack welds sound like they would go a long way in your application.

Good Luck

Okie

Comment

Re: Bonding 90 degree black pipe

If not, drill through the joint (both the pipe and fitting) and pin it with a bolt and nut.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
      X