X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orangeburg well pipe

I have a deep well that is attached to a shallow pump in basement. It is 45 yrs old. the pipe from the well to the pump is orangeburg and the joints are leaking near the motor. Our plumber needs to know what and how he can attach a PVC or other more modern pipe to well pipe, or where he can still get the orangeburg fittings for replacement.

Re: orangeburg well pipe

Originally posted by andrew turano View Post
    I have a deep well that is attached to a shallow pump in basement. It is 45 yrs old. the pipe from the well to the pump is orangeburg and the joints are leaking near the motor. Our plumber needs to know what and how he can attach a PVC or other more modern pipe to well pipe, or where he can still get the orangeburg fittings for replacement.
    His best bet is to call tech support at one of the rubber coupling manufacturers and see if they can give him a part number. They don't list Orangeburg in their catalogs but will tell you what's closest.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

hold on orangeburg for pressure???? that is news to me maybe try a dresser coupling with copper shoved inside the orangeburgh to keep it from compressing to much but that is honestly a jury rigged job, i would prefer full replacement. if it is drainage a regular pvc to pvc fernco works just fine.

Comment

You need to lose the orange burg and replace it for sure. Call Cascade Mfg.

They are a town over from me and have great products. A local distributor around you should carry their products I'm sure.

http://www.cascademfg.com/
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Orangeburg to potable water. Not good. Pay to replace it all.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew turano View Post
            Maybe I'm getting paranoid in my old age, but something sounds a little fishy to me. "deep well that is attached to a shallow pump"; "pipe from the well to the pump is orangeburg"; "Our plumber"; "orange burg fittings" all make me suspicious. I know I haven't seen everything, but for starters, was (or is) there an orangeburg small enough to use for water piping and connecting to a pump? If there is, why doesn't "our plumber" know about it? And why doesn't he know how to attach PVC to a well pipe?

Comment

Orangeburg started out as an electrical conduit, then a water main line and then a sewer line. When I first discovered the abandoned 40 + GPM spring on my property it was piped in Orangeburg pipe.

Mark

BTW: I'm thinking he might mean sump instead of well?
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-08-2009, 09:36 PM.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Kinda confusing me to.

I've only ever seen orangeburg used as a conduit for the water pipe. It makes no sense that you have orangeburg that small that can be pressurized.

The pump in the house will have one or two water pipes attached to it. If there is only one you are not using a deep well. The maximum lift for a shallow well jet is 30 feet. If there are two pipes then it is a deep well jet and the jet is in the well.

As this sounds like a jury rigged set up and at 40 years even a well done job is getting to the end of its lifetime I'd start looking around for a well water professional and get a price to replace everything. Pump,piping in the well, piping to the house etc. 3000-10,000 dollars

Comment

orangeburg for pressure???? that is news to me maybe try a dresser coupling with copper shoved inside the orangeburgh to keep it from compressing to much but that is honestly a jury rigged job, i would prefer full replacement. if it is drainage a regular pvc to pvc fernco works just fine.
                  Acai Juice Berries Pulp Product Review merchant processing

Comment

If the pump housing is metal have a weldor come over and weld a standard NPT nipple on, problem solved

Comment

Working...
                    X