Tight Crimpers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight Crimpers

Are my crimpers too tight? I've had some say they couldn't squeeze them.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM.

Re: Tight Crimpers

that's a funny looking gear clamp.

Vince

Comment

This is what happens when you don't have the press tool aligned correctly. Then you have to cut it out and do it again.

Turned out to be a good thing. I didn't notice I had the wrong ring on the first time.

J.C.

Comment

This is what did it.

It was basically a "blind" crimp in a small hole. I started the crimp but something just didn't seem right. The jaws weren't completely on. Only took about 1 second then I had to start over.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM.

Comment

do you mean to tell me you can you your press tool for pex crimp rings...or am I on glue?
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Yes they make jaws for PEX or Copper press fittings. Different jaws for each type of pipe.

J.C.

Comment

WTH J.C.?

You bought a Rothenberger crimper and didn't tell us?

How do you like it?

Comment

This IS a Ridgid site & some have been very negative toward competitors products. So I'm reserved at mentioning other companies.

But this "off crimp" was interesting and kind of shows the pressure all press tools can exert so I thought it might be an interesting post.

It's not fair for me to compare which is better as I don't own them all. I am familiar with designs and breakdowns of all of them though. (I think...duh...)

Some don't even know how many different brands are out there. Last I checked:

Rothenberger-3 different models
                Ridgid-3 different models
                Nibco-2 different models
                Stanley Virax-2 different models

I like the tool. Does what it's supposed too without leaks thus far. All fittings are approved to be used with it and carry the same warranty.

This is the smaller of Rothenbergers line and will only crimp up to 1". (Maybe 1 1/4". I'd have to go get the book.)

So far in my reading Ridgid has done some of the best R&D out there with there tool. I'm still researching all of them though. Some look so similar and use the same power that they look like they could come out of the same factory. But....

I like this design MUCH better. The head rotates 350 degrees. Pretty much covers 99.9% of positions you need. Light, easy to hold, and you can get into much tighter places.

Crimps PEX or Copper. About a 6 second crimp cycle.

Overall, a good choice for me. But NOTHING beats a soldered/brazed joint in my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

I was hoping you were talking about the compact crimpers. the last pair of 3/4 crimpers I bought are really hard to squeeze together. I guess I could just be getting week. Have noticed this?

Comment

Compact MIL3 crimpers are harder to squeeze in cold weather in my experience.

Honestly, two or three different people have tried my 1/2" ones and can't squeeze them. I can.

But I'm scared they might be out of calibration and I might need to have them checked soon.

But I also might get lazy and just use this all the time.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                      I was hoping you were talking about the compact crimpers. the last pair of 3/4 crimpers I bought are really hard to squeeze together. I guess I could just be getting week. Have noticed this?
                      I've also had new 3/4" crimpers that were almost impossible to squeeze. Took awhile for them to wear in to be tolerable.

Talked to a guy the other month that said he put cheater bars on both handles.

J.C.

Comment

Shouldn't a standard go/no-go gauge be able to check the calibration of the machine?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Shouldn't a standard go/no-go gauge be able to check the calibration of the machine?
                          Yes, but you can get a "go" with crimpers that are too tight. Just makes me wonder if being too tight could fatigue the joint in some way. And I'm talking about my hand crimpers. Not the press tool.

J.C.

Comment

now if you really want a crimper to fit in a tight space, try the new c-1 compact crimp swivel rings. this will turn your 100-b compact crimper into a real swivel crimper.

sort of like what a universal joint does to a socket set. it will allow the tool to crimp parallel to the pipe and any angle in between.

look at the link.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/ProPress-Rings

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              now if you really want a crimper to fit in a tight space, try the new c-1 compact crimp swivel rings. this will turn your 100-b compact crimper into a real swivel crimper.

sort of like what a universal joint does to a socket set. it will allow the tool to crimp parallel to the pipe and any angle in between.

look at the link.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/ProPress-Rings

rick.
                              Just to add a footnote to the C-1 swivel crimp rings. It will increase your 100-B compact crimper up to 1-1/4"

Comment

Working...
                              X