X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange request

Currently I'm working on a project to preserve bamboo and have reached a stumbling block. The bamboo is to be used for construction, as it a very environmentally friendly material. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The process requires a borax solution to be fed at pressure to base of the bamboo pole. The pressure is 1 - 1.5 bar (15 - 20 psi) and the bamboos are 4" - 6" in diameter.

I'm based in Thailand and have assembled pressure fittings, however they end up being very long and awkward to work with. It's also very difficult to find rubber fittings and clips that can adapt to the varying diameters of the bamboos. I've been using inner tubes, which tend to balloon and pull away.

A tapered rubber sleeve would be ideal, but I've been unable to find one.

Below are some fittings used by others. The taps at the top are needed to drain the air when feeding the borax.

Below are plastic pressure fittings, unfortunately I can't find short plastic fittings like these.

These are steel fittings:

The set up below is gravity fed, so the pressure isn't too great. Does anyone know where such fittings are made/sold?

Re: Strange request

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings
    there home page,
    http://www.fernco.com/
    customer service
    http://www.fernco.com/customer-service/locations
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

^ thanks for your help, I appreciate it. The links you've provided look very much like the fittings in the pictures. However when I check the specs they are rated at 4.5 PSI, while the procedure calls for 15 -20 PSI, so I'm a little confused as to how they're doing it. Do you think these fittings could stand 15 PSI?

I'm interested in the white PVC fittings below, I've never seen these in Australia and am guessing they are from the US. Is anybody familiar with them and know if they are pressure rated?

Comment

they will hold the 20psi. they are not rated or approved for pressure applications, but during test, we have to have a min. of 5psi.

i know they will hold 20psi as the rubber is fairly thick. the hose clamps are stainless and we use them all the time for outside work.

if you want, they also come in a shielded version.

also look into the "mission rubber company"

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

^ Many thanks Rick, I'm familiar with the fittings, yes they are thick.

Another questions, what's the chances of them stretching a bit? Unlikely I know, problem is the bamboo comes in various diameters. A tapered rubber fitting would be ideal, but I can't find one.

Also, any ideas on the white PVC fittings used in the pic below?

Comment

the white pvc fittings appear to be sch. 40. is there an irrigation supply in town?

out here you can get them everywhere they sell sprinkler stuff.

do a google search for schedule 40 pvc pipe and fittings.

the bands should be able to give or take a good 1/4''- 3/8'' or so. they come in a variaty of sizes to match different pipe materials and thicknesses.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks, actually I've managed to find the sch connections. I'm now searching for an Australian supplier of the couplings.

Comment

Working...
              X