X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1210 oiless trouble

Ive had a 1210 for the last 10-12 years and never had any trouble. I dont use it often but it has never failed me until recently. I ran out of the coolant and ordered new bottles. When I got the bottles I realized right away they had changed the composition and the new stuff had a much higher viscocity( its cold here now, around 20 average) and the machine cannot deliver to the die head. Downloading the new owners manual from the net I noticed a few changes to the machine itself. It now has a device to control the drip rate on the die head. I disasembled the entire machine and made sure all passage ways were clear and yet still no fluid. I checked pump pressure and even tried to increase return line pressure to see if I could compensate for increased viscocity to no avail. Is the old fluid available or is it possible to thin the new fluid, if not then this machine is useless to me and will be tossed in the junk.

Re: 1210 oiless trouble

Did you open the adjustment screw on the front of your carriage? It is behind the black gob of sealant on the front center face. This is where you adjust the coolant flow to the recommended one drip per second rate.

The new coolant does have a different formulation, but is not much different in viscosity. It was tested extensively at high and low temps to make sure it works well in old and new machines. It will definitely improve your die life.

The major difference in the new machine is that the adjustment (restriction) is now closer to the point where the coolant drips (now actually in the die head.) This allows the coolant to flow sooner after turning on the machine, something that has been requested for some time. It still flows the same, and at the same recommended rate.

So, two major improvements were released last fall. A new coolant, which benefits all users of the 1210 Oiless machine, and new coolant flow adjustment/location on the machine itself.

Let us know if opening the adjustment screw works for you. It should practically flood out if opened too much.
    Oh, also check for kinks in the tubing. That's probably the number 1 cause for no coolant flow.

Steve (the horse's mouth, as it were)
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

steve, i still have 3 full bottles of the old coolant.

is there an advantage to swapping to the new stuff

plus i have the old set up too. i push the poppet valve to speed up the flow.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        steve, i still have 3 full bottles of the old coolant.

is there an advantage to swapping to the new stuff

plus i have the old set up too. i push the poppet valve to speed up the flow.

rick.

If you don't have any problems with your current threading, your coolant should be just fine. Some folks have tooth chipping problems on occasion, and the new coolant improves that. From previous discussions, you should be fine.

Some people don't take the time to hold down the carriage or poppet to get coolant flow. They just start threading, and are done by the time coolant starts to flow. With the new carriage setup, the poppet valve is gone and as noted, the valve is in the die head. Flow is now in just a couple seconds vs 20-30 seconds on a machine that has been drained.

If you had an interest in upgrading, a new carriage assembly and die head would convert you to the new style, or a new die head and replacing your current adjustment valve with a plug would be a close approximation. Of course I'd much prefer you replace your coolant and your machine with new.
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Working...
        X