Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, your out in the boondocks and...........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, your out in the boondocks and...........

you encounter a split/frozen copper pipe.

you don't have anymore coupling or repair clamps and you need to get the water going.

how would you repair this?

i have my own method that i've been taught.

please remember, this is only a temporary repair.

i clean the pipe at the split with my fitting brush.

i apply flux and squeeze the pipe back into shape. with the tip of the plier jaw i then squeeze the pipe slightly into the pipe (this allows for a little pooling of the molten solder).

with solder and torch in hand i then proceed to patch.

this won't work well if the split pipe in question is closed. the pipe must be open to the atmosphere so expanded air has a place to go.

Vince
    Attached Files

Re: Okay, your out in the boondocks and...........

Back in the day, I used to do this for all my financially challenged customers.

It works quite well, just have to know how to build up the solder to close it. If it's incorrect, it'll spray an almost invisible spray from any spot that didn't seal up.

I did hose bibb repairs all the time like this.

Haven't done this method in almost 20 years though. It will work in a pinch.

I'm sure this will get a rise but I always solder IPS to IPS on my shower valves inside the wall on a rework. Can't control heat sink so what's the point of taping a connection that you know will be compromised by heat?

It's the only time I do it, and I've caught/seen plumbers soldering MIP's into PRV's. That's a no-no all the way.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

depends on the extreme of the emergency one can use a few hose clamps and a section of garden hose, or automotive heater hose but it is only temporary until proper repairs can be made.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you have some copper tube you can cut out a patch and place over the split and solder in place for a temp. fix.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
          If you have some copper tube you can cut out a patch and place over the split and solder in place for a temp. fix.

G3
          Thats what I would do, just like a patch pannel on a rusted out truck.

Comment

you could braze it

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              depends on the extreme of the emergency one can use a few hose clamps and a section of garden hose, or automotive heater hose but it is only temporary until proper repairs can be made.
              They might work but I would not use them on a potable water line except as a totally last resort and it is an emergency that the water needs to be on for. In that case I'd pick a piece of garden hose over the radiator hose.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
              X