X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air compressor

need to run about 80 feet of 1 1/4 copper for compressor with only 150psi. Do i need to silver solder?

Re: air compressor

i would.

thats alot of pressure on 1-1/4".

typically, fire departments charge a sprinkler system up to 150 psi.

if memory serves me right, copper sprinkler systems are silver soldered.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMJOE View Post
      need to run about 80 feet of 1 1/4 copper for compressor with only 150psi. Do i need to silver solder?
      I would for the peace of mind for the little extra time it would take.

Comment

Do you really have to use copper sweat pipe? Normally compressed air (industrial and shop) is piped through threaded galvanized iron pipe.

Comment

Or, you could use something like this. I have it in my garage and basement. I have six air outlets and never have to run more than 25' of air hose.

http://www.transairaluminumpipe.com/...FQHyDAod2zy9nw

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
            Or, you could use something like this. I have it in my garage and basement. I have six air outlets and never have to run more than 25' of air hose.

http://www.transairaluminumpipe.com/...FQHyDAod2zy9nw
            Looks cool but how expensive is it?

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
              Well, I paid about $750 for the material. That included 9 sections of 7/8" X10' pipe, elbows, tee's, quick connect couplings, hanger brackets and a flex stainless braided vibration isolator. Basically, everything necessary to plumb the system with. It is rated to 232 p.s.i and delivers 88cfm. All you need is a tubing cutter to cut the pipes. The fittings quick connect. My old system was copper, silver soldered but when I built the new garage I re-did the whole system and ran air lines to the basement work shop as well. Took about 1/4 the time for 3 times more capacity.

Comment

killavolt

Just wondering, but how much air compressor (please describe some) do you have there? By the way the vibration isolator is a real must have.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMJOE View Post
                  i would not.

150# is next to nothing as the bursting pressure on 1.25'' type m copper is lower than the soldered joint. can't find the data right now, but i'm guessing it's over 1000psi.

silver soldering will anneal/ soften the copper and it will also warp and look burned.

i'll try to find the pressure tables if i can.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

1,25'' type m copper is 3875 psi at room temperature.

http://www.copper.org/applications/p...th_table5.html

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      killavolt

Just wondering, but how much air compressor (please describe some) do you have there? By the way the vibration isolator is a real must have.
                      I have a 5 HP 2 stage 230V 1PH 60 gal. 17.5 CFM at 175psi with a dryer. I do a little painting with it too.

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for posting your opinion on the silver solder. I'll be moving my compressor into the future garage shop later this summer and was intending to pipe it in so that I have service in both the wood shop area and also out where the cars will be parked.

I saw the opinions on silver soldering and was wondering why one needed to go to that extent, for what amounts to be 150 to 175 psi.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pr...ts-d_1162.html

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            Do you really have to use copper sweat pipe? Normally compressed air (industrial and shop) is piped through threaded galvanized iron pipe.
                            Down the road Galv. or black pipe will be nothing but trouble. Use copper if you can. Why do you need 1-1/4"?

DON'T use 50/50.

How many tools will run off this line at once and what is their combined CFM?
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gusty60 View Post
                              Yes, and if you don't have good control of moisture in your system even aluminum can have problems with corrosion.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X