X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join pvc pipe to ceramic pipe

How do you connect a new toilet drain pipe using pvc pipe to join those old ceramic sewer pipe (about 6" diameter) ? How do u cut thru the ceramic pipe?What kind of pvc joint are required. How do you cement the joint? can the new drain pipe have a vertical joint entering the ceramic pipe or it has to be slanted at an angle to join the ceramic pipe?

Re: Join pvc pipe to ceramic pipe

In Australia plumbing is a licenced trade for a reason.
    The reason is the Health and Saftey of the community.
    If anyone could do plumbing work with the sewer system you could imagine how bad the work would be by people who don't have a clue.
    In Brisbane the Council has inspectors looking at ILLEGAL work performed by non plumbers and will prosecute.
    I notice that you are a handyman, please stay with the handyman stuff and leave the trademens work to a professional trained in using the correct materials and knowing the relevant laws.

Simon

Comment

LOL Busted

Comment

What is ceramic pipe? Is it used for acid appilcations? Or does he mean Clay?

Comment

bless you for stating the understood to us fellow tradesmen.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
            What is ceramic pipe? Is it used for acid appilcations? Or does he mean Clay?
            He means earthenware/ terracotta/ clay cooked in an oven

Simon

Comment

see below
              Last edited by Fireguy97; 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenys View Post
                How do you connect a new toilet drain pipe using pvc pipe to join those old ceramic sewer pipe (about 6" diameter) ? How do u cut thru the ceramic pipe?What kind of pvc joint are required. How do you cement the joint? can the new drain pipe have a vertical joint entering the ceramic pipe or it has to be slanted at an angle to join the ceramic pipe?
                I do a lot of 'Handyman' stuff too. I know exactly how I would get this job done, and I would do it properly! The first part of the job I would pick up the closest phone and call my Licensed and Insured Plumber that I use all of the time.

The second part, to cut the pipe, I would pick up the closest phone and call my Licensed and Insured Plumber that I use all of the time.

And the most inportant part, to get a proper fit and a snug joint, I would pick up the closest phone and call my Licensed and Insured Plumber that I use all of the time. That way the job gets done, and inspected, and the world is a better place, by one more properly installed toilet!

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                  In Australia plumbing is a licenced trade for a reason.
                  The reason is the Health and Saftey of the community.
                  Simon
                  thought you need a licensed plumber because its a Mafia.
                  Leaking clay pipe maybe was a good idea in 1850 when there was no sewage at all. Plus uncovered in places, what about germs and insects?

what about this:

note the offset, so water will seep into the ground

dangling gas meter, suspended on 1/2m pipe run, supporting 5 m 1" pipe, safe ay?

Plumbers will not run out of work, you don't have to push people to call them. But I am not willing to pay a fortune for lousy work. Come on, every who can walk in a straight line can get a plumbers license. Other example: friend of mine wanted round downpipe. Plumber fits square ones. So now since 1/2 years he is chasing after the plumber to get it fixed.

Another example of fine tradesmanship: cladding of our house is done so that water seeps into the floor joists. Restumper patches up the loose ends. But they don't reach the next beam

or are suspended in air

Feels less safe than before.

since some other dick ahem tradie cut the floorboards next to the beams, so there are gaps everywhere, we have to fix that and while on it the carpenter may as well fix the restumpers "work". So tradies work hand in hand to create work for each other and the customer has to pay for that ****.

Or does it himself.

@stevenys: google for "clay sewage pipe", there is plenty of advice out there. If I look at my plumbing, I could have done a better job with one hand tied to my back. Maybe the licensed plumber did his apprenticeship in a slum. And the sparkie in Bangkog.

Comment

Some time ago I looked for an explaination for what I was experiencing. The closest thing I found was that there was a FULL MOON. Going on past years it seems to appear around November and disappear around end of October.
                    I am not a veteran to this forum as others are but I do have many years of experience behind me. I am not perfect, non of us are. Some Day Plumbing we are not out to "rip-off" the consumers as yo and many others seem to constantly suggest. We are professionals who in this forum are endeavouring to share advice to people like your self and experience amongst other fellow tradesmen/women Plumber Gasfitters and Associated Trades. As with all who question our charges I ask what price are you prepared to pay for guessing rather than knowing that your health and safety is protected.
                    To Jimmy2hands your photos are wonderful. I am not going to correct your misleading inferences for too much information in the wrong hands is dangerous. I, like my fellow Professional Tradesmen do understand more than you believe just by looking at the photos. I cant comment on the qualifications of who is responsible but obviously most is DIY.
                    Please respect this forum for what it is instead of trying to confuse quality with DIY

Comment

Some Day Plumbing I am sorry I have wrongly accused you. The above post is meant for STEVENYS. I RESPECT an dagree with your post wholeheartedly. We too down South are plaugued with the DIY as well as others who look at the dollar ahead of Health and Safety. They dont know or understand the meaning of RISK ASSESSMENT.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                        To Jimmy2hands your photos are wonderful. I am not going to correct your misleading inferences for too much information in the wrong hands is dangerous. I, like my fellow Professional Tradesmen do understand more than you believe just by looking at the photos. I cant comment on the qualifications of who is responsible but obviously most is DIY.
                        That's how I found it. The gas would have been done by a plumber because everyone would be too scared to do it DIY.
                        For the other pipes no idea, the restumping has been done by a company 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I could not hold their hands all the time, the loose beams I just discovered yesterday.
                        Back to the plumbing: 1/2 of my pipes are not going anywhere. The rest you could have done with half as much pipework, am happy to post more pictures.
                        Same for wiring. Compared to the old black cables (which are still in place!!!) the new once are a mess. Sparky should rather serve spaghetti like he did before it seems.
                        No idea what former owner paid for the job. But restumper cost a lot, was the 2nd deerest out of 5. Not a single day where they would not have to borrow tools and what not from me.
                        Anyone with common sense can do better.

Comment

The nice thing about dealing with licensed trades is that we have a licensing authority that can be complained to if we were to do shoddy work and insurance in the event of a failure or accident.

If the work was done by licensed trades get the names of the companies and start making phone calls to the licensing authorities.

If a handyman does the work you have no recourse or protection...

The license works both ways

Comment

Working...
                          X