X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hole saw help

i work fire marshall wants to see the core tie wired to the saddle for proof!

Comment

Have drilled hundreds of saddles like you are talking about, since I am a sprinkler guy myself. I have found that when drilling the hole and you are almost through don't push so hard and the coupon will stay on the pilot bit.

Victaulic did make a pilot bit that had a small wire brazed on the end in one of the flutes, so that when the pilot bit made the hole and advanced in the spring would compress, go through the hole, and then expand again thus trapping the coupon on the end of the pilot. I looked on victaulics web site but did not have any luck finding them.

You might want to check into purchasing a "Pilot Clamp"
      http://www.argco.com/store/main.aspx...l&item=3099097

It will clamp onto pipe up to 4" and will take a hole saw up to 2"

I use mine all the time.

G3

Comment

When ever I use a hole saw I always drill the pilot hole with out the hole saw attached. I have seen too many people push really hard and then the holesaw bites on the material and shears the drill bit off with the holesaw marking the job surface.

My best suggestion about not letting the piece fall in would be to drill a pilot hole and then have a seperate mandrel made.
        The new mandrel would be a 1/4 rod with a 90 degree bend on it that you could thread into the pilot hole, drill the hole and with any luck the piece will stay on the bent piece.

Simon

Comment

http://www.2lbin.com/pilotdrills.shtml

Coupon Retaining pilots. These are the cat's As$
          Last edited by bigPipe09; 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
            Seems we have lost continuity in this thread but I'll bite, how does one hold their mouth right?...
            Yee-Haww!! Gotcha
            Just like my uncle did me while we were out fishing when I was seven.Been usin' it ever since.

Use the search engine here "mouth" on or around the dates immediately previous to this post.

Comment

Luci knows...Kinda like Michael Jordan dribbling or making a jump shot. I knew it had something to do with the tongue.

Comment

Man... I misread the question.

Comment

Wow, does this bring back memories of when I used to do these before retiring. Murphy's Law's state that if you drill a pipe in the shop, on the floor, the coupon (correct term) will always find a way to stick into the hole saw. BUT, once you climb that proverbial ladder (before I saw my first mechanical lifting device) and drill out a hole for a saddle, the coupon will fall into the pipe being drilled even if you are drilling from the bottom. Have you had the experience of tieing in a 2" saddle to a 6" pipe using ladders? NO cutting torches allowed! Are plasma cuts allowed nowdays? Had I ever had the opportunity to get into my possession one of those pilot bits with the little "fingers" I would have kept it in my pocket so no one else would know my secret. Yes, our local Fire Marshall, and IRI Inspector wanted those coupons tied close to the new tie-in. The IRI Inspector would have us damage the coupon so we couldn't use it again, he had worked in the field, he knew. Thanks, David

Comment

how 'bout duct tape?

i don't know about drilling a hole in the pipe. never done that.

Vince

Comment

how bout using a step bit? No coupon?

Comment

Rick already touched on it.

there's an invention just waiting to appear here.

Vince

i envision something spring loaded on the pilot bit. don't forget the magnet to catch the iron filings.................Rick

Comment

After your hole is 90% cut remove the 1/4" pilot drill and replace it with a special 90 degree Allen Key, which is described below. Put a mark on your drill chuck where the right angle is on your Allen Key. Hook the Allen Key back into your pilot drill hole and continue cutting. If you are cutting a vertical pipe almost cut through, line up the Allen Key upright in the pipe and then wiggle out the cut piece by rocking the drill up and down. Lightly file the hole saw hole to remove the burr.

Buy an extra Allen Key and grind it down the right angle to 3/8", which will be good for 3/4" and larger hole saws.

For larger holes grind down a second Allen Key to 1" which will be good for 2" and bigger size holes.

Comment

Working...
                          X