X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole saw help

I'm trying to find out how to prevent the cut out piece of pipe from falling inside the pipe after cutting with a hole saw. I had heard there were special bits that hold onto the piece but I can't find them. Any ideas?

Re: Hole saw help

put some plywood,seran wrap,tin foil,cap,rag,fitting,tape,your glove,or your hat over the hole.

What division of "Fire Protection" are you in?

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think he means how does he keep the plug from the hole saw falling into the pipe he is drilling into.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
        I could be wrong, but I think he means how does he keep the plug from the hole saw falling into the pipe he is drilling into.
        Your probably not
        I don't do any pipe drilling.

Comment

I wonder if you could angle the bit to finish cut one side only and pull the bit before it cuts all the way through.

Comment

Most of the time when I am drilling with a hole saw, I have to pry out the plug with a screw driver. With the material I am drilling through, (electrical cabinets, panels, buss duct, etc.) most of the time it doesn't matter if the plug fell out. In jebj1's case it does matter and of course, the plug will fall into the pipe....Mr. Murphy's Law...

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
              Most of the time when I am drilling with a hole saw, I have to pry out the plug with a screw driver. With the material I am drilling through, (electrical cabinets, panels, buss duct, etc.) most of the time it doesn't matter if the plug fell out. In jebj1's case it does matter and of course, the plug will fall into the pipe....Mr. Murphy's Law...
              That's not entirely true.
              Depends if he's holdn' his mouth right.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                That's not entirely true.
                Depends if he's holdn' his mouth right.
                Seems we have lost continuity in this thread but I'll bite, how does one hold their mouth right?...

Comment

I would think one could put some wax off a toilet ring in the hole saw if it is not hot I would think it would stick about any thing. I have not tried it, but like said most of the time I have to pry out the plug, but I am sure if you needing it to stick will not.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I usually have to pry the wood out of the hole saw.

Comment

Originally posted by jebj1 View Post
                      I'm trying to find out how to prevent the cut out piece of pipe from falling inside the pipe after cutting with a hole saw. I had heard there were special bits that hold onto the piece but I can't find them. Any ideas?
                      Check out Aqua Tap. Uses magnets for iron and steel pipe. Sorry I can't provide link but easy to google.

Comment

here's the issue he has.

since sprinkler guys do a lot of saddles, they need to make a sort of hot tap. no problem when drilling a horizontal surface from the bottom as gravity will hold the steel core onto the hole saw. even a vertical top down you can pull with a magnet.

the issue comes when you drill a vertical pipe and the coupon/ pipe scrap falls into the vertical riser

i have a drill press that clamps onto the pipe and allows you to tap the line with a 1/2'' drill clamped into the rack assembly. this allows for precision drilling and perfect alignment. sort of like core drilling with a coring rig.

i don't do enough live lines to know whats already out there, but i have a feeling that a set of magnets that are spring loaded from the back inside of the bit will be able to hold the coupon in place.

i can picture my design, hopefully you can too.

if it's not already commercially available. i know i can make it with a little creativity.

going to metal/ machine shop 2 times a week now 6-9:15 p.m.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

There are many different hot tapping machines for any application large and small. If you are tapping a live line and have the right stuff saddle, full port corp. Stop it can be done by hand no power. Especially if its a 12"" water line or a force main, kinda dont want no electricity in a ditch fool of water. But as stated by others with a good hole saw bit i usually have to pry the core back out.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. The magnets sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try.

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't answer some of your questions. I own a fire protection company that mainly deals with fire extinguishers and kitchen fire suppression systems aka Ansul systems. We're slowly expanding into sprinkler systems. I was experimenting the other night with cutting a hole in a 2 inch pipe to install a mechanical tee ( saddle) Sure enough the coupon fell into the pipe. I'll agree like many of you stated that usually the piece will get stuck on the end of the hole saw but not this time. Luckily I was only playing around in my shop but out in the field on a vertical pipe, that would be a major problem. I want to get this sorted now before we attempt this in the field. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X