Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good/Bad Pex Install?

Opinions on what you see here?

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Re: Good/Bad Pex Install?

atrocious... That should have been all copper until the PRV then a manifold after that with runs going to each individual fixture, completely unacceptable in my book

Comment

I think there may be a leak going up under the stairs behind the drywall. See the spot on the floor? Can't tell if it's condensation or a small drip running down the line. Told to leave it for now.

You like manifold systems with individual runs Rich? I haven't been sold on them myself but you might change my mind.

J.C.

Comment

I love a manifod system done correctly! correctly being the important term, It need to be neat legibley labeled accessible, think copper with pex, it is a little tougher to do but faster, cheaper in materials and it is really a convenience having all your valves in one place!

Last edited by wrench spinner; 04-13-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

I'm not debating at all & am asking the question to honestly try to learn/possibly change.

How can it save on materials? Every one I've seen had MANY more feet of material and about the same amount of fittings depending on what you run into on the install.

Even got a Uponor Logic book around here somewhere that didn't seem to add up.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I think there may be a leak going up under the stairs behind the drywall. See the spot on the floor? Can't tell if it's condensation or a small drip running down the line. Told to leave it for now.
            I use newspaper to find the leaks in these cases. Fold it up to a pointy triangle and touch the pipe with the point where you think it's leaking and it'll get you right on on the spot.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Opinions on what you see here?

J.C.
              Who did this....Ray Charles?
              The Other Rick

Comment

complete cluster fuc*

Comment

The Uponor is a good product but that damn sure is a hack looking install.
                  I would be embarrassed to have anyone see that!

Comment

This was definitely not good plumbing pex or not. The person who put it together did not follow good plumbing practice. We have seen this with almost every plumbing material there is.

Manifolds don't really save on pipe just fittings. I think it costs more do a manifold system. I prefer branching off of larger pipe runs across the house. But then I am confident in the Uponor/ Wirsbo expander ring connections.

Comment

if i ever did a install like that i would be on the street with my tools before i even knew what was going on, of course my boss is also my dad so im held to a higher standard
                      "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

It looks like a main line with multipul additons added to it over time. If this is a one time install, the extra time or cost in using a header would have been saved in grief and embarrassment over that eye sore.

Comment

It looks like someone was suffering from swine flue when they was plumbing that up, cuz it sure looks like pig shi.p to me!
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

must be a mobile home

Comment

wow that looks like crap. When installed right I like wirsbo alot better than vanguard. wirsbo is a higher grade of pex and is much better design. I prefer to use the brass fittings for wirsbo over there plastic ones. have had to many leaks on the plastic fittings because of nicks on the fittings. Vanguard takes way too much pipe. tears up the wall where ever you install it, and it's having a problem right now with leaks on the manifold because of cheap construction. My #1 choice is still copper, but wirsbo is not that bad either when installed right.

Comment

Working...
                              X