Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you run your gas this way???

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    We can't use copper for natural gas out here because the odorant they add eats copper.

Mark

mark, not that i want to challenge you

but i will

the odorant used by the gas co is 100% safe to all piping and is 100 %consumed in the combustion process.

it's the sulphur content that has to be below a certain level to allow the use of copper. and as far as i know out here with the southern calif. gas co. we're ok to use copper as the sulphur content is low enough.

the odorant is called a mercaptan.

can we use copper out here? yes. do we? not i, but some do.

right

wrong

sort of

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-09-2009, 12:54 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Speaking of gas lines, was anyone here working on that Maryland remodel that had a gas explosion yesterday?

Mark
      It funny you should mention this Mark

I was working on the gas line next door just a few minutes before the explosion. Good thing I went to lunch when I did

Comment

I use copper on lp only. Steel or csst on natural, I live in gas well country and alot of people have wells on thier property and well gas has alot of moisture, salt, and sulfur content so copper is a big no no.
        "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

We can't use copper here for NG only propane.

The reasoning I have heard is that it corrodes the copper.

Comment

Rick,

You are correct the odorant used today is no where near as corrosive as it was in the 70s. That is why they added copper tubing for natural gas back into the UPC for limited areas.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What I should ask is how many btu's can 3/8" flared copper deliver on a 2lb system?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                What I should ask is how many btu's can 3/8" flared copper deliver on a 2lb system?

Thanks.

J.C.
                The lowest medium pressure my chart reads is 466 CFH 1/2" @ 50'

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  Wow! Talk about Mr. Moderator playing favorites! How come I get banned for being "mean" and you don't get edited for having a potty mouth
                  Shut the h*** up.

J.C.

Comment

Rick,

You are correct the odorant used today is no where near as corrosive as it was in the 70s. That is why they added copper tubing for natural gas back into the UPC for limited areas.

Mark
                    I hate this economy.
                    Sitting around for months on end has made me appear fat and stupid.An unused/distracted brain forgets ****.

Mark,
                    I don't know how deep your investigation will take you on a certain 24 story high rise that you are the expert witness on.But if you do happen to have the chance to meet one of the plumbing contractors that did a great many of the condos in that building(a very nice guy,you'll have a lot to talk about)ask him about how he made available to the City of Los Angeles a copy of the gas provider out of Arizona's gas makeup.They approved him for propress on gas.
                    He uses propress on everything.We actually started talking cause I was giving him greef after he eventaully had to solder his master tub connection cause he couldn't get his gun into our common wall between the penthouses.

I thought I had said something in the past on this.
                    Didn't Ben/Gear Junky say something about gas needed/should be brazed due to the ease at which joints(press & solder) would fail in a fire.

Comment

Adam,

I have represented that Contractor in the past and agree he is a nice guy. I did not realize you could use ProPress on gas in Los Angeles yet but I figured it would be coming soon. I just got off the phone with Rick and we were talking about that exact topic. Phil Campbell wrote a pretty good article arguing the fact we should start using copper pipe for gas again. While it is a convincing argument I would caution that SCG is using 20-years as the service life of copper gas pipe.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Adam,

I have represented that Contractor in the past and agree he is a nice guy. I did not realize you could use ProPress on gas in Los Angeles yet but I figured it would be coming soon. I just got off the phone with Rick and we were talking about that exact topic. Phil Campbell wrote a pretty good article arguing the fact we should start using copper pipe for gas again. While it is a convincing argument I would caution that SCG is using 20-years as the service life of copper gas pipe.

Mark
                        Ahhh,
                        Now that feels much better.
                        I don't like the 20 yr. thing.What good is that?
                        I might consider 50 being acceptable.

Comment

Just wondering if some run all Black Iron to termination points or often flare copper.

I see this often.

J.C.
                          Yes, when I use black iron I will stub it out at the appliance with the exception of a wall mounted gas lantern or yard lantern. I install a log lighter valve in the wall (wall lantern) and then run 1/4" copper (flared x male threaded) from there to the outside of the house.

Comment

Installed NG lanterns for a customer here in socal. Used internally tinned 1/4" copper tubing. The flame did look pretty cool.

wookie

Comment

Shut the h*** up.

J.C.

That's all the creativity you've got? At least Adam misspelled and conjugated his noun!
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

We're not allowed copper on NG here either, though i've removed it a few times, the black scale built up inside is terrible. CSST is pretty much out for us to, as they've put a code addendum in place here requiring any vertical run of CSST to be sheethed in rigid metal conduit, and have striker plates installed.

not that I argue the need of striker plates, but it does seem redundant, and with the added cost of the conduit on top of the already rather pricey CSST, we just black iron everything.

Although if we have to bury the gasline we do use the yellow poly stuff "can't brain this early, not enough coffee"
                                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                                X