X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you run your gas this way???

The mercaptan odorant Rick talks of is actually from a group of chemicals know as "thiols as in "Methanethiol" or "Methyl mercaptan".
    What I wanted to say it that this is the same family of chemicals that is presnt in SKUNK SPRAY!!

Comment

dEPENDS ON YOUR STATE CODES. MINN LETS US USE BOTH BUT NEED HEAVY FLAIR NUTS LIKE IN THE PHOTO.

Comment

Is gas copper marked differently than water or refrigerant?

Comment

I will preface this the fact that I am not a plumber, but a Brit living in Canada and used to live in the US. Just a home handyman / DIYer.

In the UK natural gas is almost invariably run in copper throughout residences. (Cannot speak for commercial properties.) I had always assumed that natural gas went through some filtration system before being distributed. I hadn't realised there were different sulphur levels in different parts of the world. There are lots of pipes there over 50 years old and I have never seen any evidence of corrosion.

Two other differences I've noticed between 'home' and Toronto. People never use pipe benders on copper. It is standard in the UK. And a bent pipe never leaks. Secondly, there is substantial use of capillary joints going back at least twenty five years. I first saw them in Toronto three years ago. However they were made in China and were a really terrible fit.

Comment

I run type L for propane all the time it is plastic coated, tradename GasShield, by mueller, Nat Gas, gets black Iron

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
              Is gas copper marked differently than water or refrigerant?
              I believe copper used for gas is suppose to have yellow stickers on it.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hese is a product I have used in the past:

http://www.kamcoproducts.com/IBEEM_IMAGES/PDF_44.pdf

Attached Files

Comment

Here only on finish piping or l.p, must be type l

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    That's all the creativity you've got? At least Adam misspelled and conjugated his noun!
                    I'm going to start a petition that you and your other half need to have an asterick next to your post count due to your thread drift. We don't need no conjugation around here.

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I believe copper used for gas is suppose to have yellow stickers on it.

Mark
                    All the residential gas copper lines I saw had yellow electrical tape spirally wrapped around the pipe.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Re: Do you run your gas this way??? NO JOKE

I can only speak for Myself on this. I personally use the colon for all Natural Gas!

I'm due for a check up, ARE YOU?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Do you run your gas this way??? NO JOKE

Mercapitan is physically added to the gas (at least here in MN).
                        The guys who add it once in a while spill a bit on them selves.
                        The is at least 1 instance of one or more of them getting the boot from a fast food restaurant because they are a walking gas leak odor.
                        Last edited by Jay Mpls; 06-02-2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

The following is from a PDF, published sometime after 2003, from copper.org, presumably a copper industry propaganda mouthpiece. Selected interesting tidbits, according to them:
                          • UPC, 1946: Copper was an approved material for NG distribution; ends to be "properly reamed" (1515);
                          • UPC, 1955: amended so copper lined with tin only ("internally tinned") approved; ends to be "reamed to full bore" (1212);
                          • UPC, 2000: amended to remove the "internally tinned" requirement; specifies only types L & K (1210.1); specifies copper to not be used if hydrogen sulfide (H2S) content exceeds 0.3 grains in 100 ft³ of gas (1210.1.1); copper tubing to be labeled using a yellow label with black lettering, with a such a label occurring within one foot of a wall penetration and maximum six feet intervals throughout the length of the tubing runs (1211.8);
                          • Two studies of internal copper pipe corrosion, performed in the UK, showed satisfactory "service life" performance -- given a service life of 20 years; The article notes an increase in corrosion solids affecting orifices, valves & burners primarily when the UK began utilizing North Sea NG containing higher levels of H2S; All copper joints will be brazed, flared, or screw joints [ie no solder] (1211.2) by a certified brazer (1211.2.1); flared joints shall not be used in concealed or inaccessible locations (1211.2.2)
                          I am not a plumber, I have no dog in this race, I do not own the referenced UPC codebooks, and I don't know the veracity of the above. I am merely citing a public reference. FWIW. And, of course, your local mileage may vary considerably.
                          Last edited by asavage; 08-02-2009, 06:05 PM.
                          Regards,
                          Al S.

Comment

Working...
                          X