Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

What gets more use c.p.v.c. or Pro press?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gets more use c.p.v.c. or Pro press?

Does c.p.v.c. get much use out west or do you guys use this pro press system more?

Re: What gets more use c.p.v.c. or Pro press?

From what I understand, CPVC has a use in potable water systems that are corrosive to copper. Other than that I don't think many plumbers use it outside of parts of Florida.

The Propress is just an easy way of joining copper or pex.

It seems like most use copper anytime they can, I use pex a lot because homeowners/builders are cheep.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I only use CPVC in Mobile home applications where it is existing. The rest of the time it is copper or PEX.

Comment

seeing i've never used cpvc out here, i guess propress wins by default

actually the propress fittings are a heavy type k long sweep design and are ideal for problem hot water recirc systems.

had one 2 days ago that was 3/4'' with 4- 45's to offset under a waste line. had it cut, pieced together and back on in under 5 minutes. tenants never noticed i had the system isolated and back on. i always mark and date my crimps and in 5 years, i've never come back to my own propressed fittings

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          seeing i've never used cpvc out here, i guess propress wins by default

actually the propress fittings are a heavy type k long sweep design and are ideal for problem hot water recirc systems.

had one 2 days ago that was 3/4'' with 4- 45's to offset under a waste line. had it cut, pieced together and back on in under 5 minutes. tenants never noticed i had the system isolated and back on. i always mark and date my crimps and in 5 years, i've never come back to my own propressed fittings

rick.

Wow, I didnt releize that other places dont use cpvc, here in Florida id say half of anything built in the last 15 tears has used cpvc. I dont like it for long term cause it gets real easy to break sometimes just turning off a angle stop will snap the pipe in wall. And propress is fast and easy but still dont trust anything that relies on a oring for its seal sooner or later its gonna fail. same for sharkbites, they have there place but I like good old copper soldered joints.
          You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Some of what I've read on these forums has lead me to believe that parts of Florida have water that's a bit rough on copper. which to me would be a good explanation for why they don't use copper. For me, that would be about the only reason to use cpvc, and even then i'd be more inclined to use pex.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
              Wow, I didnt releize that other places dont use cpvc, here in Florida id say half of anything built in the last 15 tears has used cpvc. I dont like it for long term cause it gets real easy to break sometimes just turning off a angle stop will snap the pipe in wall. And propress is fast and easy but still dont trust anything that relies on a oring for its seal sooner or later its gonna fail. same for sharkbites, they have there place but I like good old copper soldered joints.
              next time you're in an old commercial building, parking structure with an old fire sprinkler system. look up and notice all the victaulic couplings. those are the 2 bolt red iron couplings that attach the lengths of pipe together. along with the other fittings.

then look at how old the building is.

i also use copper victaulic. same type of couplings as used for steel pipe.

also look at all the water filters and other equipment that relies on o-rings / push on fittings that use an o-ring and stainless gripper teeth identical to sharkbite.

the only reason why people remember o-rings is from the challenger accident. and last time i checked, non of my work is going into outer-space

p.s. show me a warranty on your copper fittings and i'll show you a 50 year warranty on my propress/ viega fittings
              phoebe it is

Comment

Yes there are quite a few applications for o rings but most of those are exposed. Water Softeners, filters etc... they are subject to periodic maintenance a leaky o ring can be detected and replaced relatively quickly.

I get nervous putting them in sealed walls.

Comment

I think it's also been pointed out that a propressed fitting doesn't rely solely on the o ring to make the seal, there is also metal to metal contact which is also pressed together.

Comment

O rings are not the problem it is the crappy rubber that some make there O rings out of,

there is good rubber products and there is CRAP products,

take tires the stuff there making tires out of to day is crap, will rot in storage, the old rubber of years past would last 50 years in the sun, (I have had 50 year old tires on my implments my dad bought), new tires will only last a few years, fall apart jsut setting,

so if the rubber is made quality it is fine, O rings are used in 3000 psi hydralic systems, and usaly will usaly out last the machine there put on,

I understand your concern but I do not think that O rings are the fault
                    poor materails or workmanship is usaly the bigger concern,

(my discussion is on the O ring them selfs not the propress system),
                    since my needs are not that large, and do not want to spend the money on propress, I still solder.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      next time you're in an old commercial building, parking structure with an old fire sprinkler system. look up and notice all the victaulic couplings. those are the 2 bolt red iron couplings that attach the lengths of pipe together. along with the other fittings.

then look at how old the building is.

i also use copper victaulic. same type of couplings as used for steel pipe.

also look at all the water filters and other equipment that relies on o-rings / push on fittings that use an o-ring and stainless gripper teeth identical to sharkbite.

the only reason why people remember o-rings is from the challenger accident. and last time i checked, non of my work is going into outer-space

p.s. show me a warranty on your copper fittings and i'll show you a 50 year warranty on my propress/ viega fittings
                      Hard to stand by something that has a 50 year warranty but has not been around that long. I use my propress for exposed pipeing like back flow, water heater installs. But i would never put in a wall or underground. Let me give you example Rick, if the whole house is propressed and the water never shut off for 50 years I agree that chances are there will be no problems. But say its a rental and the home owner cant get someone to rent for 3 years and the water main is shut off. Those o-rings are going to dry out with no water touching them for so long and then the owner finally rents it out you turn the water on there is a good chance there will be leaks. That aint gonna happen with copper.

Comment

Good point rick . what do you guys use when you have water with a low P.H. or if you need to use a plastic what would it be glue or crimp? Low P.H. is a problem on the east coast in about 30 yrs copper,steel,brass will be eating away.

Comment

and if you read that warranty if it is like the copper warranty it will not apply to water with low P.H. any way

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            Some of what I've read on these forums has lead me to believe that parts of Florida have water that's a bit rough on copper. which to me would be a good explanation for why they don't use copper. For me, that would be about the only reason to use cpvc, and even then i'd be more inclined to use pex.
                            No its all about the money Stick of copper $25 stick of cpvc $10. But I agree that cpvc might be better to use in Florida cause our humidity never falls under 50% even in the winter. But places like Cali were they have desert like conditions I think the cpvc might dry out. Just a guess.

Comment

Have you ever noticed that when you go to cut into and older mabe 5+ yrs how brittle the pipe is. I dont know how many time I have had to cut it with ridgid minis to get a square cut. Have ever had this problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X