X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharkbites hate me

So last week I covered for our service guy for a couple of days. I've posted a picture of the back of his truck in a previous thread, it is horrible. Speaking of horrible; he loves to use sharkbite fittings.
    Now, I get called out to move a hosebibb on a house out in BFE. I needed 3 half inch copper 90's, I tore the back of his truck further apart, but only managed to find 2 90's.

So after much internal debate, I grabbed a sharkbite 90, and made the final connection. Yesterday evening, our service guy calls me after getting out from underneath that same house, The sharkbite had pushed off, and proceeded to flood the crawlspace. Out of the 4 sharkbites i've used since I first stumbled upon them, 3 have leaked.

I figure I'm either too inept for a push connect fitting, the fittings simply hate me, or it's the plumbing gods telling me that they hate sharkbites too.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Sharkbites hate me

One thing I've noticed is you either need to use sharp cutters or remove the outside flare after cutting. Any disturbance to the oring can cause a leak. Also mark the depth because sometimes you don't push the sb far enough.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

you know, that's one thing I've never done, ream the outside of the fitting. Is that something that has to be done with the propress as well? I know the O ring isn't supposed to be the main part of the seal there.

Maybe I should get one of those reversible cone reamers... Or maybe I should just make it a point to use real fittings in the future.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

it's physically impossible for a sharkbite to pull off if it's properly installed.

chances are you got it onto the o-ring, but never inserted it fully into the stainless gripper teeth.

it's required to ream the inner and outer copper tubing. honestly with a proper tubing cutter there should not be a burr on the outside.

i've only installed a dozen or so sharkbites and never had a leak then or to date. all of mine are easily traceable back to me as i've dated them and initialed them. plus they're in my computer on my invoice program and can easily be looked up.

believe it or not, i've removed a hdpe gas mechanical coupling as a challenge at the trade show a number of years ago.

but i couldn't remove a sharkbite style 1/2'' angle stop last month at the trade show without using the special tool. i tried for minutes and all i managed to do is embarass myself

sorry to hear about the problem. don't get discouraged, try again in a less critical area like an outside test on a hose bibb adapter to a cap. just a dead ended fitting for test.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I had leaky shark bite once due to the poly having small nick in it. Easy fix usually.

I switched out a shark bite fitting that was installed on a double boiler drain. The drain arm would swing away from the floor drain when they swept or mopped. So they wanted to prevent that. However there was five pounds of copper just hanging on the shark bite fitting swinging back and forth. The fitting held.
          Last edited by EasyEman; 06-10-2009, 11:33 PM.

Comment

odds are this was the problem. I think i'm still going to walk away from them in general, I've only ever used them when it's all i've had available.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            it's physically impossible for a sharkbite to pull off if it's properly installed.

chances are you got it onto the o-ring, but never inserted it fully into the stainless gripper teeth.

rick.

Comment

Sharkbites let me work on CPVC

I've never made a solvent weld connection in CPVC, ever and now that sharkbites are around, I'll transition into copper to make the repair.

Here's some BS I ran into today,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCxaSXQZkoc

You cannot even see the leak in that fitting at all. I posted the second video to show the mold growing in that wall along with how they stressed that water line coming up on the cold for the lavatory. $300,000.00 patio home in a pristine area.

I made sure the customer held that jigged up piece of copper and explained to him what I was installing is by far a more superior product.

I used L copper, the only consideration for a possible leak would be the sharkbites but I always make sure that they are pushed in all the way.

I have about 25 of these in use, less than 10 in concealed locations.

Absolutely will not make a glued connection in CPVC in any piping system where I have to turn the water back on immediately.

I sleep good at night, no doubt.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 06-10-2009, 11:55 PM.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
              X