X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3'' double check with propress

so yesterday i had a complete 3'' double check valve assembly to add to an existing 15 year old water service.

the key to the success was being able to install the entire assembly without every shutting the water off to the 5 story building

in fact in this city we can't shut the water meter off without calling the city and having them do it for us.

i planned on doing the job in propress as it was the sure fire way to get it done and not worry about isolating the water main or water dripping to keep me from soldering.

i made the decision to use a heavy duty hose i made up to jump the water service and isolate it from the rest of the main. water company and backflow inspector was very impressed at my method and use of propress.

in fact the water company had viega there the week before demoing the propress fittings and ridgid tools. i just hammered it home and having josh call at the same time was icing on the cake

so cutting the main piecing it all together with propress 90's and flanges was the key to pulling the entire project off by myself in a day. impressed the city and the homeowners

rick.

keeping the discharge corporation valve off and using the meters test port to supply water to the building. with a 1.25'' i.d hose.

the hose is connected into the building main via the 2'' connection for the irrigation tee that i disconnected from. i also shut off the buildings 3'' ball valve to isolate the main from back feeding the underground service.

cutting the 3'' copper riser was scary as the underground valve at the meter didn't hold 100%. with propress i was able to work on it while it was still running. a total of 4- 3'' propress 90's and 2- 3'' propress flanges was all that was needed to cut and loop the service into the double check.

the wilkins model 450 was a good fit for this alley planter.

once backfilled i'll add unistrut support to help secure the valve. along with a post to prevent a wayward car strike.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-24-2009, 11:50 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: 3'' double check with propress

Looks good. What was the actual time and what would you estimate the time if you soldered?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Looks good. What's the fitting costs?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Looks good. What was the actual time and what would you estimate the time if you soldered?
        soldering would not have been possible at the lower connection due to the water still running. we can't touch the meter or remove the flange bolts to drain it.

inspectors show up through out the day

couldn't start till 10 am as the city was swapping water meters at the same time and they have a bypass around the meter for that purpose too.

had lots of roots and digging to make room for the piping. valve was powered up at 4:30. plus i did stop for lunch

sure 2 guys are easier than 1, but with the right tools, i can accomplish the entire job themselves

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Looks good. What's the fitting costs?

J.C.
          flange was $7.00 more than a 150# cxc flange and the pp.90 was 3 times more than a cxc solder 90.

but in under 5 seconds you have a leak proof joint without worries of soldering with water.

of course working in the muddy hole is never fun.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

So that's what you were doing when i called. Good I let you go quickly

Comment

On thursday me and another plumber changed a air dryer in a printing plant that was 3" copper, downtime was a issue so i rented a xl ring kit for my 320-e and orderd the fittings, had it done in half the time and made shure to demonstrate the advantages to the plant manager and head of maintenance so they would know why the material was higher and labor lower.
              "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                so yesterday i had a complete 3'' double check valve assembly to add to an existing 15 year old water service.

the key to the success was being able to install the entire assembly without every shutting the water off to the 5 story building

in fact in this city we can't shut the water meter off without calling the city and having them do it for us.

i planned on doing the job in propress as it was the sure fire way to get it done and not worry about isolating the water main or water dripping to keep me from soldering.

i made the decision to use a heavy duty hose i made up to jump the water service and isolate it from the rest of the main. water company and backflow inspector was very impressed at my method and use of propress.

in fact the water company had viega there the week before demoing the propress fittings and ridgid tools. i just hammered it home and having josh call at the same time was icing on the cake

so cutting the main piecing it all together with propress 90's and flanges was the key to pulling the entire project off by myself in a day. impressed the city and the homeowners

rick.

keeping the discharge corporation valve off and using the meters test port to supply water to the building. with a 1.25'' i.d hose.

the hose is connected into the building main via the 2'' connection for the irrigation tee that i disconnected from. i also shut off the buildings 3'' ball valve to isolate the main from back feeding the underground service.

cutting the 3'' copper riser was scary as the underground valve at the meter didn't hold 100%. with propress i was able to work on it while it was still running. a total of 4- 3'' propress 90's and 2- 3'' propress flanges was all that was needed to cut and loop the service into the double check.

the wilkins model 450 was a good fit for this alley planter.

once backfilled i'll add unistrut support to help secure the valve. along with a post to prevent a wayward car strike.

rick.

Rick as usual very impressive. Downunder we havent all encompassed teh new technology as yet. Just a few questions, are you guys still using gal fittings on water supply. What pressures are you running through the mains. I know this job was done nearly twelve months ago but have you seen the new wilkins backflow valves. Just fitted 2 50mm rpzds and I have to say these are the best. Servicing is so simple too

Comment

for the most part galvanized pipe is no longer used for domestic water piping. biggest issue is that finding good domestic made gal pipe is difficult. although we do use steel and gal steel for gas piping.

the propress has a design pressure of 200psi. most of my water mains before the pressure regulator is 100- 150psi. after a pressure regulator that serves the building fixtures is 80psi maximum.

i've used it underground and above ground with great results.

all of my supply houses now stock propress fittings. i guess i'm not the only one buying it

what model is that wilkins backflow you're referring to?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Are you required to test the back flow assembly after installation?

Btw- check your PM's Rick.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                      Are you required to test the back flow assembly after installation?

Btw- check your PM's Rick.
                      no, but they do require annual inspection.

the city inspector for this job is the cross connection chief for the entire city. he also puts on training classes for plumbers.

initially had a hard time trying to get the required info from him as this was a retrofit to an existing 15 year old building. after finally meeting him at the job site and having a battle of wits i gained his respect. when the job was finished and he showed up, then came back the next day with other inspectors to show off the work. i felt that all the hassles of dealing with the city on this project paid back as the inspector and i are both on the same page.

went from a battle to a victory and all were very happy

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Looks good Rick , you said it was a retrofit so the building did not have a dualcheck ? did the city force the owner to install it so other work could be done?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                          Looks good Rick , you said it was a retrofit so the building did not have a dualcheck ? did the city force the owner to install it so other work could be done?
                          pretty much. i guess they are going back to buildings more than 50' tall and requiring it in that city.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

So you got the call hey I have been told by the city I have to bring my building back up to current code.

Comment

Working...
                            X