Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading Aluminum Pipe 1 1/2 Inch 6061 W/1822

Hi,

Anyone have any experience threading aluminum pipe?

We have a Ridgid 1822 and were checking to see if there are special dies or cutting fluid or something needed or available?

Thanks
    Jason

Re: Threading Aluminum Pipe 1 1/2 Inch 6061 W/1822

Use wax to keep the dies from clogging, aluminum is like glue on cutting tools.

Comment

tozzi. what type wax? thank you. breid

Comment

I use stick wax that I get from MSC or Grainger, but the parifin wax they sell in the grocery store with the baking goods works just as well.

Comment

I have done little aluminum threading but I have used WD40 when I have, and I also use WD40 on aluminum with the milling machine and it does a good job on the milling cutters, I will try the wax next time try to work with aluminum.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You might try this for it. It does well for tapping work in aluminum.

http://www.tapmagic.com/TMaluminum.htm

Comment

Please note that Woussko has recommended "Tap Magic for Aluminum" not to be confused with regular Tap Magic. Regular Tap Magic will not work on aluminum, and actually will create quite a mess of aluminum. I used the "Tap Magic for Aluminum" in machining aluminum and threading aluminum pipe for years. Thanks, David

Comment

Originally posted by Thurman View Post
                Please note that Woussko has recommended "Tap Magic for Aluminum" not to be confused with regular Tap Magic. Regular Tap Magic will not work on aluminum, and actually will create quite a mess of aluminum. I used the "Tap Magic for Aluminum" in machining aluminum and threading aluminum pipe for years. Thanks, David
                Very true about do not mix them up. This is a special product for machining aluminum. If you use regular cutting fluids or oils made for steel when machining aluminum you do end up with a big mess.

If safety if of concern you might give this a try. I haven't yet used it, but have used other "SafeTap" products with good results. This one is claimed to be their best multi use fluid. http://www.itwfpg.com/safetap/safetap_ultima.html
                Last edited by Woussko; 07-12-2009, 04:33 PM.

Comment

The cutting fluids made specifically for aluminum are great, but wax is cheap and can be used on other things. I keep a can of aluminum cutting fluid in MY tools, but wax stays on the floor.

Comment

Hey guys....I tried it with the regular clear oil and it worked great. Even with used dies.

Comment

Working...
                    X