X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe freezing and propress

3'' water main with a 1/2'' broken gate valve. either shut off the 5 story 22 unit building and drain it or call the guy with all the toys

that's what the other plumber decided to do. call me to change the valve without shutting off the entire building.

problem was the gate valve was only 6'' from the 3'' main and didn't leave enough room to freeze the line and replace the valve.

so i froze it on the other side of the broken valve and installed a new propress ball-valve. fortunately the old valve was not broken in the off position. it just wouldn't shut off.

the valve was located under the t-bar ceiling in the main electrical room for the building. couldn't afford to have a leak with all the live power panels.

used the ridgid superfreeze #2000 to freeze the 1/2'' line and installed the new ball-valve with the ridgid 100-b propress.

you never want to cut into the line unless you know it's frozen

so before i cut the line, i install a hose clamp with rubber gasket for added safety if i need to use it. i use a tiny tim hacksaw. this allows me to make a small controlled cut and verify the line is frozen. if not i slide the clamp on and tighten it down. fortunately i've only had to do this 1 time in all the years i've been doing this. which i believe is over 15 with my superfreeze.

once it's sliced and drained, i then use my tubing cutter to properly cut out the required section and install the propress valve. use the propress tool to crimp the valve on with no chance of thawing the frozen section.

enjoy the photos and now you know how i do it

rick.

superfreeze sitting on top of the electrical panel. the 2 freeze head hoses are approx 6' long each.

broken valve with freeze heads.

freeze heads clamped to pipe. notice the frost ring on the copper. this indicates the line is frozen.

small cut to bleed water and clamp ready to slide over cut if it's not frozen.

propressing the pressure side of the valve first. just in case.

freeze heads removed waiting for the line to thaw.

all went perfect and the job was completed in under an hour without any interruption of water to its tenants.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-16-2009, 01:46 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Pipe freezing and propress

Nice work man!!

Crap. I want to work for a shop like yours.

When I was "active" I never had a boss that would spend money on anything good.

We would have been that "other" company draining the building while getting yelled at across a nextel radio.

I am really happy I found this thread, That is good stuff man!!!

Thanks very much for posting it
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Oh look,

I found a hidden word

Attached Files
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Great Job there Mr Rick. I love using my Super Freeze as well. I have not invested in a pro-press system yet. But when I have a need for it I will get one.

I went to use my Super Freeze machine the other day, when I took it off the shelf in my garage, I noticed that there was a huge puddle of oil under it and dripping from it. I have a sinking feeling something let loose and leaked the compressor oil out. Maybe this weekend I will open up the insides and have a look.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

ron, don't open anything. it's sealed and there's a good chance that the lifetime warranty will cover the problem. contact ridgid and discuss it with them.

not sure who is the main person, but i'm sure they will direct you to them.

let us know for reference.

don't use it either until it's repaired or it will be toast

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Rick, nice work. I wish I had a guy like you to call on. The one with all the gadgets. Don't want to give the big head but, wish I had a chance to work for someone like you.

Comment

thanks tim and joe

the weather is great, come on down. just ask ben if he likes it

1 of the reasons why i can get it done myself is due to the toys and the years of seeing what works and what doesn't.

i keep the good and toss the bad

investing in the best possible tools for the trade is what allows me to get r done

so when you coming down this way so i can schedule a pipe pull

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

so when you coming down this way so i can schedule a pipe pull

rick.
                Whoo, I don't know if I will ever have a chance to visit the West coast. If I did would defanately like to check out your shop with all the Ridgid goodies. That is quite a way though and I don't like airplanes.
                You like Larry The Cable guy, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  investing in the best possible tools for the trade is what allows me to get r done

rick.
                  That's the truth right there buddy. The right tools make the job!!

I am glad to see you got all the "goodies"

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                    Oh look,

I found a hidden word

it was a subliminal message and you got it. good eye joe.

josh has his own line of buckets

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I wanted one of the freezers for a while now actually could have used one today on a 8 unit condo/retail below job. And reading this just pushed me over the edge and bought one on ebay (used) So thanks for making me spend more money Rick I already had the propress so now instead of just peanut butter I have peanut butter and jelly isn't that what you call it Rick
                      Last edited by Cuda; 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

more like the icing on the cake

or the cherry and whip cream on the shake

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I use a tek screw run it into pipe after the frozen spot remove and see if frozen if not put the screw back in. also works to drain line between two freezes just use two screws top and bottom jeff. ps the srews with rubber gaskets are better

Comment

Working...
                          X