Propress in a tight spot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Propress in a tight spot

I can make that repair without a ProPress or the XC jaws for the same money & the same or LESS wall damage.

Rick can too. He's just getting old and lazy. Probably having customers do his crawling for him too and taking pictures so he can tell them what's wrong.

J.C.

Comment

Rick were you able to ream the out side of that pipe? looks pretty close.

Comment

I still doubt you can replace a single handle tub shower valve without an access hatch with a propress. If you can do that then Ill be impressed!

I hate that job! My hands are all scratched up from yesterday from changing one through the tile!

How long do you guys figure on that job 2 hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          Rick were you able to ream the out side of that pipe? looks pretty close.
          reaming the outside is to prevent the o-ring from getting nicked. propress fittings are pretty forgiving as the o-ring is loose until you press it.

a typical tubing cutter will roll the cut inward to the id. that's why it's necessary to ream the id.

in this case i used my ridgid #102 internal tubing cutter that has more of a lathe cut off tool. this actually slices the tubing rather than displaces the tubing. this cutter has a depth of 4.5'' and either 1/2'' or 3/4'' capacity. a pretty slick tool for cutting flush or behind the wall.

here's the link to the #102 cutter http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Internal...s/EN/index.htm

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            I still doubt you can replace a single handle tub shower valve without an access hatch with a propress. If you can do that then Ill be impressed!

I hate that job! My hands are all scratched up from yesterday from changing one through the tile!

as longas there is no wood backing directly behind the fitting/ crimp. i could slip my proress rings around the 1/2'' and use the actuator to crimp.

the rings are a smaller foot print than the jaws. this also allows for multiple angles of entry similar to a sock with a universal joint.

typically you'll have 3-4 crimps left after you fab the valve. hot, cold, tub and shower risers. it can be done

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post

The lathe will get you! I wear gloves. Each one of those is different to me, so I can give a rough estimate there but not a ballpark of x amount of time over the phone.

You know the drill. Depends on if the tile person made a decent size hole or hugged everything tight. Galvanized or copper. Framing in FRONT of the pipes. Etc. etc.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-19-2010, 06:12 PM.

Comment

was lucky, i cut the old one out tight to the valve w/ mini hacksaw then used fem. adapters on the new valve was able to sneak it right in and solder in place, all through existing 6" dia. opening.

PIA but it was on an outside wall and I didnt want to do tile work. took about 3 hours because I had to run and get the valve. I just dont know how the jaws would fit in the hole i had as i had barely enough room to get the torch in.

Oh and BTW spray bottle w/ water are your friend to keep from charing any lumber in a tight space like that!

Comment

Now this Plumber Rick looks like a reason to buy a press tool. I likes dis.
                  http://www.viega.net/productcatalog....p8641015161048

Comment

see what you've been missing

propress stainless has been around since 2008. but if you're complaining about the price of copper propress, i don't want to tell you the price of stainless pipe and fittings.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      see what you've been missing

propress stainless has been around since 2008. but if you're complaining about the price of copper propress, i don't want to tell you the price of stainless pipe and fittings.

rick.
                      I like anything stainless and if you'd clean out your message box ..I'd explain why. I said before i have no beef wiff the press. For me...for what I do....I cant justify buying it. But when you throw the stainless tube in as a option of materials.....it takes the press method to a new level. I still have o ring concerns.......thats the weak link. I hope its never a problem,I'm all for new stuff but usually there are kinks along the way with any newer technology.

Comment

I forgot all about that cutter Rick . Have to check out the price . Just got two rolls of fosta pex and found out I am going to need to get the bender when I used it for the first time to replace a heater . Hard to make tight bends with the stuff . Starting to get a good stock of fittings together better price than pro press . same with the fosta pex .

Comment

JC are you retro fitting your t&s valves with pressure balance valves behind the wall? we are so pose to be retro fitting with remote pressure balance valve and tempering valve . I just wonder does any one really do this ? I have yet to see this done .

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                            JC are you retro fitting your t&s valves with pressure balance valves behind the wall? we are so pose to be retro fitting with remote pressure balance valve and tempering valve . I just wonder does any one really do this ? I have yet to see this done .
                            Don't look to me for guidance. I don't know what the he!! is going on.

Honestly you seem to have good experience and ethics to make the proper decisions.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                            X